Select a Team

The FA Cup

Portman Road (ATT 20,080) 8th January 2005 - Kick off 15:00 Ref: S Bennett

Ipswich Ipswich Town vs Bolton Wanderers Bolton


Bolton 3

Bolton too strong for Town

By Peter O Rourke.   Last Updated: 08/01/05 2:04pm

  • Share:

Bolton booked their place in the fourth round of the FA Cup with an impressive 3-1 win at Ipswich.

Second half goals from Stelios Giannakopoulos and Henrik Pedersen (2) were enough to give Sam Allardyce's men victory with Tommy Miller netting a consolation for Ipswich.

Ipswich started brightly and Darren Bent had the first noteworthy chance for the home side on ten minutes with a curling shot from the edge of the area flying just wide of the target.

The lively Shefki Kuqi created a chance for himself out of nothing on 16 minutes out-muscling Bruno N'Gotty down the left to race clear on goal, but from an acute angle he could only fire straight at Jussi Jaaskelainen.

Within a matter of seconds Bolton had moved down the other end of the pitch and the unmarked Khalilou Fadiga flashed a shot from the edge of the area just wide of goal.

Bolton suffered a blow after 26 minutes when Kevin Davies was forced off through injury and was replaced by El-Hadji Diouf.

The visitors had claims for a penalty rejected two minutes later when Pedersen's cross appeared to strike the hand of Scott Mitchell, but referee Steve Bennett waved away Bolton's appeals.

Kuqi was causing the Bolton defence all sorts of problems and he tried his luck from long-range on 29 minutes with a superb first-time shot, but Jaaskelainen was equal to the shot.

Ricardo Vaz Te had a half chance for Bolton a minute later when the ball dropped nicely to him on the edge of the box and he fired in a volley which fizzed just wide of the target.

Kuqi had the best chance of the half on 39 minutes when Kevin Horlock sent the giant Finn through on goal with a superb pass and he fired in a shot which Jaaskelainen could only push out and Tal Ben Haim was forced to clear the ball for a corner under pressure from Bent.

From the resulting corner from Jim Magilton was unlucky not to break the deadlock when his header was cleared off the line by a combination of Jaaskelainen and Fadiga.

Bolton came out for the second half in determined fashion and really should have broken the deadlock on 49 minutes when Diouf crossed brilliantly for Pedersen at the far post, but the Dane somehow scooped his shot over the crossbar with the goal at his mercy.

Fernando Hierro went close to scoring on 56 minutes direct from a corner which Kelvin Davis was forced to tip away from under his own crossbar at full stretch.

Bolton made the breakthrough on the hour mark with Diouf cleverly playing Stelios through on goal and the Greek international clinically fired past Davis.

The Premiership outfit doubled their lead five minutes later with Pedersen running onto a through ball from Diouf and drilling his left-footed shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Ipswich missed the chance to reduce the arrears two minutes later when Ian Westlake found himself one on one with Jaaskelainen, but the keeper stood up well to block his shot with his legs.

Bolton punished Ipswich 60 seconds later with substitute Kevin Nolan winning a superb tackle in midfield before sending Pedersen racing clear wide on the left and the Dane rifled a brilliant left-footed shot past Davis to put Bolton in total control.

Ipswich pulled a goal back two minutes later when the two substitutes Pablo Counago and Tommy Miller combined inside the box and Miller slid his shot past Jaaskelainen.

Town had a chance to score a second in the dying seconds, but Nicky Hunt cleared Mitchell's shot off the line.

Team NameIpswich TownBolton Wanderers
Shots On Target87
Shots Off Target56
Blocked Shots22
Fouls Conceded1113
Yellow Cards01
Red Cards00