Select a Team

Capital One Cup

Ewood Park (ATT 7,226) 22nd September 2004 - Kick off 19:45 Ref: M Atkinson

Blackburn Blackburn Rovers vs Bournemouth B'mouth

Cherries knock Rovers out

By Simon Fudge.   Last Updated: 22/09/04 9:30pm

  • Share:

Bournemouth needed a penalty shoot-out to upset Blackburn Rovers and advance to the third round of the Carling Cup following a 3-3 draw after extra time.

Tugay's penalty miss in the sudden death stage of the shoot-out allowed Eddie Howe to step up and score the winning penalty for a 7-6 win on penalties and cap a thrilling second round contest at Ewood Park.

Mark Hughes's side got off to a great start early on when Australian Brett Emerton put Rovers in front after eight minutes.

That was cancelled out five minutes later by the South Coast visitors, as Garreth O'Connor struck an unstoppable shot past Rovers' stand-in keeper Peter Enckelman for 1-1.

From that point, Blackburn dominated the half and should have scored again, but Lorenzo Amoruso hit the underside of the bar after Paul Dickov's corner from the left was initially cleared off the line.

In the second half, Jonathon Douglas missed a glorious chance to give Rovers the lead when he miss hit a right footed shot from a few yards out.

Other than the equaliser, The Cherries provided little in attack, but they caused Blackburn hearts to flutter in the final moments when goalscorer O'Connor forced a corner with a deflected shot over Enckelman's bar.

But the visitors would not be denied, as Cherries skipper Karl Broadhurst latched on to the ball into the box to head home and give Bournemouth the lead with eight minutes remaining.

The League One side looked destined for a famous away win, but substitute Morten Gamst Pedersen saved Rovers' blushes with a last-gasp equaliser - his first goal for the club.

Seconds later, Matt Jansen nearly snatched the tie for the home side with a low shot that went just wide, as the match went into extra time.

A minute into the added time, Rovers took the lead as Paul Gallacher scored right footed past Neil Moss for a 3-2 lead after some slack defending let The Cherries down.

But the visitors' fighting spirit was still there and John Spicer forced a fine save from Enckelman with a right footed free kick strike.

With five minutes left in the second period of extra time, Spicer headed the ball home to make it 3-3 and send both sides to a penalty shoot-out.

The shoot-out went to sudden death after four goals were netted by either team, but with the score at 6-6, Tugay hammered his spot kick over the bar to give Bournemouth the chance to win.

It was Howe, on loan from Portsmouth, who stepped up and scored to give The Cherries a famous cup win at Ewood Park and passage to the third round.

Click below for the rest of Wednesday's Carling Cup second round reports 

Aston Villa 3-1 Queens Park Rangers

Bristol City 2-2 Everton (AET - Everton win 4-3 on penalties)

Coventry City 1-0 Sheffield Wednesday

Northampton Town 0-3 Southampton

Nottingham Forest 2-1 Rotherham United

Oldham Athletic 0-6 Tottenham Hotspur

Boston United 1-4 Fulham