Select a Team

Capital One Cup

Ashton Gate (ATT 15,264) 22nd September 2004 - Kick off 19:45 Ref: P Crossley

Bristol C Bristol City vs Everton Everton

Toffees given Robins fright

By Simon Fudge.   Last Updated: 22/09/04 9:31pm

  • Share:

Everton were sent the distance by a brave Bristol City side before defeating their League One opponents on penalties after a 2-2 extra time draw.

Former Robin David Moyes thought his Toffees side were on their way to victory after a Duncan Ferguson penalty and Nick Chadwick goal had made it 2-0 at the break.

However, an Alan Stubbs own-goal and Leroy Lita strike in the space of three second half minutes turned the tie around and some brilliant saves late on from City goalkeeper Steve Phillips set up a dramatic finale in the penalty shoot-out before Lee Carsley won the contest 4-3 with his spot kick.

The visitors started the brightest and put The Robins under plenty of pressure with balls into their box, with Gary Naysmith hitting the bar with a cross from the left.

The home side then pushed forward through the in form Lita, who set up strike partner Christian Roberts to shoot just over Richard Wright's goal.

Then on the half hour mark, The Toffees took the lead when Ferguson converted a penalty left footed past Phillips after Danny Coles handled a chipped pass just inside the box.

Brian Tinnion's side soon replied with chances, with Luke Wilkshire hitting the top of the Everton bar with a shot that deflected off Carsley.

Despite City's efforts, Everton doubled their lead on the stroke of half time when substitute Chadwick headed home Naysmith's free kick from the left at the far post.

The West Country club, however, found some inspiration from being two goals down and they pulled a goal back five minutes after the restart when Scott Murray's cross from the right went off Toffees skipper Stubbs's knee and into his own net for 2-1.

The Ashton Gate crowd soon had more to celebrate three minutes later, as Roberts's low cross from the right found Lita to knock the ball home at the near post to level matters at 2-2.

The visitors should have restored their lead when Chadwick slid in and beat Phillips to the ball in the box, but with the angle becoming ever tighter, his shot ran across the face of the open goal and out for a goal kick.

Both sides kept pushing forward, with Everton looking the likelier side to win the contest and they were rewarded with another penalty following a very late challenge on James McFadden by City's Jamie Smith.

The former Motherwell hit-man stepped up to take the spot kick, but Phillips stopped him and the ensuing header from the rebound to stun the Scotland striker.

Phillips then needed to make another fine save from Joseph Yobo from the following corner while Kevin Campbell's scoring header was disallowed for a foul seconds later, as the match went to extra time.

The Robins keeper needed to make a couple more fine saves in the extra period while Wright made a fine stop from Lita's free kick in the second period of extra time, as penalties were needed to decide the tie.

With the shoot-out at 3-3, Coles struck his spot kick against the bar and Irishman Carsley stepped up to settle a pulsating cup contest in the West Country.