Premier League: Aston Villa stun Manchester City with a 3-2 win at Villa Park
Last Updated: 29/09/13 7:18am
Andreas Weimann celebrates scoring the winner for Aston Villa
Aston Villa twice came from behind to earn an unlikely 3-2 win over Manchester City in a thrilling Premier League encounter at Villa Park.
Best of the game
- Man of the match: Leandro Bacuna put in a fantastic performancemance assisting the first equaliser and scoring a fantastic free-kick for Villa's second.
- Moment of the match: Brad Guzan launching the ball up the field with the bounce putting Andreas Weimann through on goal, before the Austrian put the ball past Joe Hart and in the back of the goal with a single touch to put Villa ahead.
- Attempt of the match: Yaya Toure's effort in the first half, deflected just wide by Nathan Baker to win the corner from which City opened the scoring.
- Save of the match: Brad Guzan keeping Villa in the match by denying a venemous volley from Alvaro Negredo just outside the area mere minutes after City went 2-1 ahead.
- Goal of the match: It has to be Leandro Bacuna's fantastic free kick, curling it over the wall and into the top-left corner, leaving Joe Hart rooted to the spot.
- Talking point: Manchester City, widely expected to be challenging for top honours this season, collapsing so spectacularly in the second half to a poor Aston Villa side, who barely had a touch of the ball in the first half.
Goals from Karim El Ahmadi and Leandro Bacuna cancelled out efforts from Yaya Toure and Edin Dzeko with Andreas Weimann popping up with the winner for Paul Lambert's men.
The home side found themselves outplayed for long periods of the game, but somehow managed to take all three points to leave City still looking for their first win away from home this season.
City started brightly and created their first chance of the game after just three minutes when Dzeko dummied Aleksandar Kolarov's cross inside the box for James Milner and the former Villa man flashed his shot just wide of the target.
The visitors were dominating possession in the early stages and Samir Nasri created a chance for Dzeko on eight minutes when he slipped in the striker inside the box and his shot brought a smart save from Brad Guzan.
Villa's only effort of note in the first half was a free-kick from El Ahmadi which sailed well over the crossbar as Lambert's men struggled to get hold of the ball.
Ciaran Clark had a lucky escape on 39 minutes when he hacked Kolarov's dangerous cross just over his own crossbar and from the resulting corner City went close to breaking the deadlock when Dzeko headed down into the path of Toure and he saw his shot knocked off the line through a combination of Clark and Libor Kozak.
Toure was inches away from scoring a minute before the break when his deflected shot from the edge of the box flew just wide of the far post with Guzan well beaten in goal.
However, from the resulting corner City finally made the breakthrough when Villa failed to clear Nasri's delivery and Toure was on hand to volley the ball through the legs of Guzan.
Villa stunned City six minutes into the second half when they equalised with their first attack after the break with a controversial goal from El Ahmadi.
Bacuna slipped in El Ahmadi inside the box with the midfielder appearing to be marginally offside, but there was no offside flag raised and he drilled his shot low into the corner past Joe Hart.
The goal stung City into action and they restored their lead five minutes later when Dzeko rose highest to meet Nasri's in-swinging corner.
Villa dragged themselves back into the game on 73 minutes when Weimann won a free kick 25 yards from goal after a foul by Matija Nastasic and Bacuna stepped up to curl a superb free-kick over the wall and past a stranded Hart.
Two minutes later Villa turned the game on its head with a real route one effort from Weimann after some comical defending from City.
Guzan pumped a long goalkick straight down the middle and Vincent Kompany and Nastasic both left the ball to each other allowing Weimann to go clear on goal and he managed to beat the onrushing Hart to the ball to poke it past the keeper and into the empty net.
City threw everything at Villa in the closing stages, but Villa held to claim a memorable win and their first home victory in the Premier League this season.
Barclays Premier League
|11||West Ham United||34||44|
|13||West Bromwich Albion||34||37|
|19||Queens Park Rangers||34||27|
Aston Villa v Man City
Pablo Zabaleta is convinced Yaya Toure will rediscover last season's sparkling form which saw him score 20 goals.
Yaya Toure found his form to fire City to three points at Aston Villa. Give your verdict on all the players here.
Champions are in business again after dogged win, says Sky Sports pundit