Clint Dempsey finds a late equaliser for Tottenham against Manchester United
Last Updated: January 21, 2013 7:19am
Clint Dempsey celebrates his last-gasp goal as Spurs snatch a 1-1 draw with Manchester United
Clint Dempsey snatched a late equaliser in the snow to earn Tottenham a 1-1 draw against Manchester United.
Robin van Persie had looked to have claimed all three points with his first-half header at White Hart Lane on Sunday but Dempsey swept the ball home in stoppage time to salvage a point.
Best of the match
- Man of the match: Michael Carrick. The Manchester United midfielder was immense in everything he did today, whether it was breaking up Tottenham attacks or creating opportunities.
- Goal of the match: Robin van Persie displayed tremendous composure to calmly head the game's opening goal past Hugo Lloris.
- Attempt of the match: Gareth Bale nearly found the net with a ferocious drive late on, with a deflection preventing it from creeping inside the near post.
- Save of the match: David De Gea had a great game, but his best save was arguably to deny Clint Dempsey from close range in the second half.
- Moment of the match: Clint Dempsey's late, late equaliser earned Spurs a dramatic and deserved equaliser.
- Talking points: United's lead at the top of the Premier League is cut to five points, but Spurs continue to impress this season, and fourth place could arguably be their minimum requirement.
The adverse weather conditions had threatened to see the Premier League clash at White Hart Lane called off - and Spurs fans were soon left wishing it had.
After a cautious start in which Aaron Lennon forced a save from David de Gea, it was ex-Arsenal man Van Persie who opened the scoring by heading home Tom Cleverley's right-wing cross.
It was the culmination of a flowing move from the Red Devils after good work from Michael Carrick, Shinji Kagawa and Danny Welbeck, who was selected ahead of Wayne Rooney in attack.
The home side struggled to create outright chances until De Gea produced a superb reaction stop with his legs to deny Gareth Bale's deflected effort from the edge of the box just before the break.
And De Gea was called into action once again after the interval when he came up with a reflex save to keep out the advancing Dempsey from point-blank range.
The Spanish goalkeeper then pushed away another Dempsey shot shortly afterwards as Spurs pushed hard for an equaliser and the crowd got behind their team.
But United remained a threat on the break and Rooney had a strong shout for a penalty shortly after replacing Kagawa when he went down under a challenge from Steven Caulker.
It was still Andre Villas-Boas' side asking most of the questions and it required a last-ditch block from Rio Ferdinand to prevent Jermain Defoe levelling things up after getting away in the channel.
But just when Sir Alex Ferguson's team looked to have held on for the win, De Gea could only punch a cross as far as Lennon inside the area and he returned the ball to Dempsey to stun United.
LIVE and exclusive on Sky Sports
Barclays Premier League
|15||West Bromwich Albion||15||15|
|17||West Ham United||15||13|