Select a Team

Capital One Cup

The John Smith's Stadium (ATT 15,189) 27th August 2008 - Kick off 19:45 Ref: N Miller

Huddsf'ld Huddersfield Town vs Sheffield United Sheff Utd

Blades edge past Terriers

Late Henderson and Naughton goals save United

Last Updated: 28/08/08 4:12pm

  • Share:
Henderson: On target

Henderson: On target

Two goals in the last seven minutes saw Sheffield United claim a 2-1 win over Yorkshire rivals Huddersfield and a place in third round of the Carling Cup.

The League One side looked to be heading for a deserved victory after Mike Flynn opened his account for the Terriers in the 34th minute.

But the visitors produced a late smash-and-grab raid as Darius Henderson and substitute Kyle Naughton struck in the 82nd and 83rd minutes to take the Championship side through.

Huddersfield made a bright start and were first to threaten with a Gary Roberts free-kick from the right which just evaded the head of Luke Beckett.

The same duo combined again to almost put Beckett through on goal but recalled Blades keeper Ian Bennett raced off his line to avert the danger.

The Terriers missed a glorious chance to open the scoring in the 19th minute when the visitors failed to clear a corner and Chris Lucketti picked out the unmarked Clarke just seven yards out but his header flashed narrowly wide.

David Carney had United's first real chance of the evening in the 26th minute when he turned sharply on the edge of the area and fired a left-foot shot narrowly wide of the far post.

The deadlock was broken when the ball fell to Flynn 25 yards out and his left-foot drive took a slight deflection to leave Bennett with no chance.

The goal briefly sparked United into life but Huddersfield keeper Matt Glennon was barely tested before the interval.

Blackwell made a change at the break, with Jon Stead's return to his hometown club proving shortlived as he was replaced by Danny Webber.

Roberts almost doubled the lead early in the second half when a neat one-two left him in space and his shot from a narrow angle forced a fingertip save from Bennett as the ball flew wide of the far post.

It was little surprise when Blackwell threw on a second substitute after 69 minutes, with Naughton replacing Carney before his last throw of the dice saw Billy Sharp come on for Derek Geary.

Just two minutes later the Blades were level when Sun Jihai found Henderson and he fired a right-foot shot which beat Glennon's despairing dive.

The home faithful were then left stunned as Naughton, from a similar position, also beat Glennon via a deflection.

Huddersfield sent on Phil Jevons for Worthington and Jihai picked up an injury-time booking before Roberts had a last-gasp attempt forced wide.

  • Share: