Select a Team

Capital One Cup

Ninian Park (ATT 6,334) 26th August 2008 - Kick off 19:45 Ref: R Shoebridge

Cardiff Cardiff City vs Milton Keynes Dons MK Dons


Blubirds see off Dons

Jones' side progress in hard-fought win at Ninian Park

Last Updated: 27/08/08 12:29am

  • Share:
Whittingham: Free-kick winner

Whittingham: Free-kick winner

A Ross McCormack penalty and a Peter Whittingham free-kick secured Cardiff a Carling Cup third round place at the expense of MK Dons.

Sean O'Hanlon pulled one back for the League One outfit, but Dave Jones' side held on to secure their progression.

Neither goalkeeper was troubled in a dour opening 20 minutes, although Cardiff were disrupted by injuries to both of their full-backs.

Tony Capaldi was the first to withdraw from the action after just 10 minutes.

Cardiff manager Dave Jones brought on Miguel Comminges in place of the Northern Ireland international, but was then forced into a further reshuffle as young right-back Darcy Blake also picked up an injury.

Injury blow

Paul Parry entered the fray in place of Blake, and it seemed there was more action on the Cardiff bench than on the pitch, as both sides struggled to create chances.

The first shot on goal finally arrived in the 26th minute, but Whittingham's 25-yard strike did not trouble visiting goalkeeper Willy Gueret as it whistled wide of the post.

Cardiff tested Gueret seven minutes later through Joe Ledley's powerful long-range strike, and the Dons keeper had to be on top form four minutes before the break to deny Bluebirds debutant Eddie Johnson.

The home side eventually broke the deadlock in the 45th minute, although their joy at scoring was tempered by yet another injury blow.

Riccardo Scimeca was scythed down in the box by Drissa Diallo, and appeared to suffer a serious injury as a result of the tackle.

Cooly taken

Scimeca was stretchered from the field to be replaced by Aaron Morris, before McCormack tucked the penalty away to give Cardiff a half-time lead.

Having failed to register a shot on target in the first half, the visitors took just 16 seconds to create their first opening of the second period, although Sam Baldock's 25-yard strike flew wide of Tom Heaton's right-hand post.

Cardiff rarely looked like relinquishing their lead, and it was the hosts who grabbed the game's second goal after 58 minutes, as Whittingham curled a 25-yard free-kick beyond the helpless Gueret.

The visitors did manage to pull a goal back with 15 minutes remaining, as O'Hanlon rose to head home a right-wing cross, but Cardiff held on with relative comfort to secure a place in the third round.

  • Share: