Select a Team

Capital One Cup

The Liberty Stadium (ATT 8,622) 26th August 2008 - Kick off 19:45 Ref: M Russell

Swansea Swansea City vs Hull City Hull City


After Extra Time

Swansea shock for Hull

Tigers beaten at Liberty Stadium

Last Updated: 26/08/08 11:31pm

  • Share:
Martinez: Hull triumph

Martinez: Hull triumph

Swansea halted Hull's unbeaten start with a well-deserved victory at the Liberty Stadium to progress to the Carling Cup third round.

The Championship outfit hit back from a goal down to eventually book their place in the next round thanks to Jordi Gomez's 104th-minute penalty.

Dean Windass made an immediate impact on his first start for the Tigers as he found the net in the opening period, only for Gorka Pintado's to glance the Swans level in the 63rd minute.

The Spaniard then had an injury-time penalty saved that would have spared his team the additional 30 minutes.

Pintado's arrival as a 54th-minute substitute injected life into Swansea, and Hull had to play second fiddle for the remainder of a fast and furious second period.

Where the Tigers had enjoyed long spells of authority on the back of Windass' early goal, they were outplayed once Pintado took a grip on proceedings.

The penalty, awarded when Hull skipper Wayne Brown tripped Febian Brandy, should have provided a fitting conclusion to Pintado's masterclass.

But five minutes after seeing a rasping shot hit the post, Pintado was denied by a brilliant Matt Duke save that kept Hull alive.

The Tigers, buoyant following a Barclays Premier League victory over Fulham and draw against Blackburn, took a deserved 11th-minute lead.

The impressive Nicky Barmby threaded a pass into Swansea's penalty area, and Caleb Folan's dummy gave Windass all the time and space he needed to slot the ball past a stranded Dorus de Vries.


It was an effortless finish by the 39-year-old, and underlined why he can remain a prominent part of Hull's league and cup campaign.

Swansea, harried out of their stride in midfield, looked to free striker Guillem Bauza, but the visitors comfortably coped with his lone attacking threat.

Hull had no intention of sitting on their lead, and a poor throw by De Vries allowed Barmby to rifle in another right-wing cross that Swansea frantically cleared.

The Welsh side though were unlucky to see penalty claims waved away when Brown appeared to push Bauza, before a rash challenge by Liam Cooper earned the Tigers player a yellow card.

It sparked Swansea's best spell of the half, yet Hull emerged unscathed and regained the initiative approaching half-time, underlined when Hungary international Peter Halmosi tested De Vries from distance.

Swansea boss Roberto Martinez made a double substitution within nine minutes of the restart, sending on Pintado for Joe Allen and replacing Matty Collins with Angel Rangel.

And the switch almost reaped its reward within 30 seconds when Pintado broke free down the right-hand side, evading a wild challenge by Bernard Mendy in the process.

Pintado's cross found Bauza unmarked deep inside the Hull box, but he blazed his shot way over the bar.

Hull were fortunate to escape, and it took a brilliant point-blank save by Duke from Pintado's volley on 56 minutes to deny Swansea an equaliser.

The game had moved up a gear, and Hull's response saw Ryan France bring out a quality save from De Vries, who managed to palm away a stinging left-foot shot.


But Swansea were not to be denied, and Pintado sent a glancing header past Duke for a deserved equaliser, the goal arriving just seconds after Marlon King had replaced Windass.

Swansea, revitalised by Pintado's presence, almost went ahead in the 75th-minute courtesy of a Bauza ricochet, but the ball flashed inches wide of Duke's left-hand post.

Hull, after dominating the first half, found chances at a premium, and De Vries had far less to worry about than opposite number Duke, whose goal came under increased threat.

Swansea, sensing a first League Cup third round appearance for more than 20 years, continued to pound away inside Hull's half and a superb Pintado run ended with a drive smashing against the post before his missed penalty meant extra-time.

Swansea grabbed the only goal of the extra period when Michael Turner fouled Shaun MacDonald in the box and Gomez tucked in the penalty just before half-time of extra-time.

Bryan Hughes had one long-range effort for the Tigers which went wide but the Welsh side ran out the victors.width="100%">

Swansea CityTeam StatisticsHull City 
01st Half Goals1 
5Shots on Target2 
3Shots off Target7 
1Blocked Shots0 
1Yellow Cards3 
0Red Cards0 

  • Share: