Fulham return to winning ways with 3-1 victory against West Ham
Last Updated: 31/01/13 12:42am
Fulham returned to winning ways after recording just their third victory in 16 Premier League games thanks to a 3-1 home victory over West Ham.
Birthday boy Dimitar Berbatov gave the hosts the perfect start thanks to a controversial opening goal after just 10 minutes.
Best of the Match
- Man of the match: Dimitar Berbatov gets the award after scoring on his 32nd birthday and proving he's still got it.
- Goal of the match: Hugo Rodallega's effort to put Fulham ahead was an important goal, but Damien Duff's left-wing cross was simply sublime
- Moment of the match: Andy Carroll looked a handful when he came on and immediately tested Mark Schwarzer. Maybe a sign of things to come!
- Save of the match: The Australian made an important stop to deny Nolan scoring his second goal of the game in the second half as he tipped his curler wide of the far post.
- Talking point: Are West Ham in freefall? And can they hang onto their main man Mohamed Diame? Will this win inspire Fulham to surge up the table?
However, the visitors hit back three minutes into the second half with Kevin Nolan netting to restore parity, but the lead lasted just 33 seconds as Hugo Rodallega fired the Cottagers back in front.
And Martin Jol's side made sure of all three points after an unfortuante own goal by Joey O'Brien in stoppage time.
Jussi Jaaskelainen was forced into action in the eighth minute, parrying away a fierce Bryan Ruiz effort from 20 yards.
Fulham pressed and soon broke the deadlock, with Berbatov nodding home just 10 minutes in. Damien Duff sent across a free-kick from the right, which looked to take the slightest of touches off Ruiz as it made its way to Berbatov to head home.
It was a moment of luck for the hosts as the Bulgarian was offside when the ball was whipped in - something the forward seemed aware of given he looked at the linesman before celebrating.
West Ham showed impressive fight by the Thames, levelling things up through captain Nolan in the 48th minute.
Mark Noble played a quick free-kick that caught the hosts off guard and Nolan did well to fire a low left-footed strike from an acute angle past Mark Schwarzer.
Parity lasted for just a minute, though, as Duff burst down the left flank and sent in a cross that Rodallega reached ahead of West Ham's defenders to bundle home.
Andy Carroll replaced his former Liverpool team-mate Joe Cole and forced Schwarzer into action moments into his first appearance since November 28th.
But the victory was secured in stoppage time when O'Brien inadvertently put into his own goal from Mladen Petric's cross-shot.
It was just Fulham's second league win of 2013 as they moved above their opponents into 12th position in the standings.
Barclays Premier League
|8||West Ham United||2||3|
|12||West Bromwich Albion||2||2|
|20||Queens Park Rangers||2||0|
Fulham v West Ham
Fulham boss Martin Jol has admitted he is close to bringing in AC Milan's Urby Emanuelson until the end of the season.
Neil McDonald slammed some of the decisions made by referee Chris Foy after watching West Ham lose at Fulham.
Martin Jol is yet to decide whether Emmanuel Frimpong is fit enough to make his Fulham debut against West Ham.