Norwich were held to a goalless draw by Newcastle at Carrow Road
Last Updated: 12/01/13 6:47pm
Robert Snodgrass: Tangles with Fabricio Coloccini
Norwich and Newcastle ended their losing runs by picking up a point apiece from a boring goalless draw at Carrow Road.
The closest either side came to a goal was when Russell Martin saw his long-range effort come back off the post midway through the second half.
Newcastle boss Alan Pardew will be happier with the draw after seeing his side lose their last four games in all competitions, while the stalemate also ends a run of four straight Premier League defeats for Norwich.
Best of the game
- Man of the match: Tim Krul gets the vote in a below-par game with a vital save from Pilkington and some sound handling throughout.
- Attempt of the match: Russell Martin rattled the post with a fine shot from fully 30 yards out.
- Save of the match: Krul was quickly off his line to smother Pilkington's shot from inside the box in the only noteworthy save of the game
- Moment of the match: The referee bringing the game to an end as it was not a game to warm up the fans as both sides cancelled each other out.
- Talking point: Do both sides need to bolster their squads in this month's window if they are to avoid getting involved in a relegation battle.
Fabricio Coloccini started for Newcastle despite widespread speculation over his future and he was rarely tested in the 90 minutes.
Chances were few and far between in a tepid opening half with both sides showing why they are in such poor form.
The only noteworthy effort of the half came in the 18th minute when the ball fell to Gabriel Obertan inside the box and he fired in a snap-shot which was well kept out by Mark Bunn.
Norwich enjoyed some fine approach play in midfield involving Wes Hoolahan and Anthony Pilkington, but all too often their final pass let them down in the last third.
The second half continued in much the same pattern of the first half as both sides struggled to impose themselves in the game.
In a rare moment of excitement Martin picked the ball up fully 30 yards from goal and fired in a volley which came back off the post with Tim Krul beaten in the Newcastle goal.
Krul came to Newcastle's rescue 15 minutes from time when he produced a fine save to keep out Pilkington's close-range effort.
The only bonus for Newcastle was the return to action for Yohan Cabaye after a lengthy spell on the sidelines through injury.
Norwich almost grabbed a winner in the final chance of the game when Grant Holt rose highest to meet fellow substitute Elliott Bennett's cross and his header across the face of goal was just missed by Pilkington at the far post.
Barclays Premier League
|9||West Ham United||30||42|
|14||West Bromwich Albion||30||33|
|19||Queens Park Rangers||30||22|