Select a Team

The FA Cup

The New Den (ATT 11,134) 18th February 2012 - Kick off 15:00 Ref: K Friend

Millwall Millwall vs Bolton Wanderers Bolton


Bolton 2

R Miyaichi (4)
D Ngog (59)

Trotters tame Lions to progress

Goals from Miyaichi and Ngog send Bolton through to next round

Last Updated: 18/02/12 5:17pm

  • Share:
Ryo Miyaichi scores the opening goal of the game for Bolton at Millwall

Ryo Miyaichi scores the opening goal of the game for Bolton at Millwall

Bolton put their poor form behind them to progress through to the FA Cup quarter-finals thanks to a comfortable 2-0 win at Championship side Millwall.

Wanderers, who are currently in a Premier League dogfight, raced into an early lead at The Den thanks to Arsenal loanee Ryo Miyaichi.

The Japan international bagged his first goal in English football on his first start for the Trotters following a quickly taken free-kick from Sam Ricketts.

The youngster was stronger and faster than full-back Alan Dunne before calmly curling his effort past the hapless Steve Mildenhall.

The visitors then doubled their lead just before the hour mark when Tuncay found David Ngog in space and the striker turned on the edge of the box before finding the back of the net, despite the best efforts of Mildenhall who could only get a hand to the ball.

Opening exchanges

Bolton started the better and shocked their opponents in the fourth minute.

The 19-year-old winger Miyaichi latched onto a quick free-kick from Ricketts and held off the challenge of Dunne before finishing with great composure past the returning Mildenhall in the Millwall goal.

Fabrice Muamba and Ngog also had good chances as the visitors dominated large swathes of the first half with Millwall only flickering into life as an attacking side on rare occasions.

The Lions' worked their way into the game as they started to enjoy more possession than in the opening exchanges but they still could not create any clear-cut chances.

Bolton seemed happy to knock the ball around in midfield as captain Nigel Reo-Coker and Mark Davies looked in complete control.

There were muted appeals for a Millwall penalty after 33 minutes when Andy Keogh went down in the box under pressure from David Wheater but referee Kevin Friend was uninterested.

Friend then infuriated the home fans when he cautioned Liam Feeney for a challenge on Ngog, who himself had earlier escaped punishment for two fouls in the Millwall half.

The hosts came closest to a first-half equaliser when Feeney's cross was turned over his own crossbar by Gretar Steinsson as the Iceland international sliced his attempted clearance.

Bolton came out in the second half intent on retaining possession and making things difficult for the hosts but it was the Championship club who had the first decent chance.

Robinson met Scott Barron's 49th-minute corner with a header but did not make sufficient contact and the ball sailed wide.

Millwall seemed to garner some self-belief from that effort and began to play some decent, attacking football themselves with only the finish lacking from Feeney after an intricate 54th-minute move.

Killer goal

The step-up in tempo from Millwall proved to be in vain as Ngog doubled Bolton's lead just before the hour with their first effort of the second half.

Robinson's poor clearance was collected by Tuncay, who fed Ngog and the former Liverpool forward's shot from 25 yards beat Mildenhall, who could only get a hand to it.

Tim Ream, who looked assured at centre-back alongside Wheater, then had his first uncertain moment of the game as he was charged down by Henderson but the 24-year-old January acquisition from New York Red Bulls managed to clear.

The second goal appeared to take the wind out of the Millwall sails and both sides began to waste possession although Liam Trotter's long-range effort did sting the palms of Bogdan in the 68th minute.

Bogdan then made a point-blank save from Harry Kane as the rain started to lash down, making conditions difficult.

Keogh then came close to connecting with a deep cross as Millwall chased a goal to set up a tense final 15 minutes.

Miyaichi, who had visibly tired during the second period, was replaced by Chris Eagles as Coyle looked to freshen up his side.

Bolton reverted back to their game plan of holding onto possession in midfield and were starting to look comfortable as their lower-league opponents began to flag.

When Bolton decided to press they again cut through the defence as Ricketts powered to the edge of the box before shooting wide of Mildenhall's far post.

  • Share:


  • The FA Cup

    Sat 18th Feb - Fifth Round


Related Profiles