Select a Team

The FA Cup

Stadium:MK (ATT 19,506) 7th January 2012 - Kick off 15:00 Ref: M Oliver

MK Dons Milton Keynes Dons vs Queens Park Rangers QPR

MK Dons 1

D Bowditch (65)



H Helguson (89)

Helguson keeps QPR in FA Cup

Striker's late goal saw Rangers draw 1-1 at MK Dons

Last Updated: 07/01/12 5:52pm

  • Share:
Heidar Helguson: Match-saver

Heidar Helguson: Match-saver

A last-gasp goal from Heidar Helguson saved Queens Park Rangers' blushes as the Premier League side escaped with a 1-1 draw against Milton Keynes Dons.

An upset was on the cards in this FA Cup third round tie on Saturday after Dean Bowditch gave the Dons the lead on 65 minutes.

But Helguson's goal in the 89th minute saw Premier League outfit QPR salvage some pride and sustain their hope of progressing to the fourth round of the competition by winning the replay at Loftus Road on January 17.

It was tough on MK Dons who played all the football, created the most chances and looked anything but 31 places below QPR on the footballing ladder.

First-half action

QPR might have taken the lead after two minutes when the home side's defence struggled to control a bobbling ball in the penalty area and DJ Campbell almost latched on to the opportunity but instead saw his would-be kick connect with fresh air.

But it was the Dons who settled to their pleasing rhythm quickest with Darren Potter and Stephen Gleeson creative in midfield and Luke Chadwick a constant threat up front.

The League One side were swifter to the ball, more imaginative in their approach play and Chadwick should have done better after 21 minutes when Ibehre broke clear and outstripped the QPR defence.

He slid the ball inside to Chadwick, who had made a fine run from deep, and it seemed he must score but his tame right-foot shot was gathered easily by goalkeeper Redek Cerny.

There was another such moment when home fans believed their side should have had a penalty, QPR defender Clint Hill appearing to handle the ball in the box from a cross by Daniel Powell but referee Michael Oliver waved away the appeals.

QPR had the occasional foray and Campbell prodded the ball into the Dons net but was ruled offside.

Two-goal thriller

Campbell then proceeded to miss the easiest chance of the match after 53 minutes. This time Federico Macheda, on loan from Manchester United, stole down the left flank and delivered a wonderful left-foot cross which evaded Dons goalkeeper Martin, only for Campbell to send his far-post header wide of the post from point-blank range.

It prompted QPR boss Neil Warnock to send on Helguson for Campbell on the hour mark.

It was MK Dons, however, who opened the scoring three minutes later.

Shaun Williams crossed from the right and Helguson got into a tangle in the area, allowing Bowditch to dispossess him and send a left-foot strike past Redek Cerny into the net.

QPR suffered something of a late blow when Alejandro Faurlin was taken off on a stretcher with what appeared a serious leg injury after receiving lengthy treatment after 83 minutes.

There was a sting in the tail with Helguson cashing in on a mix-up in the MK Dons defence to slide the ball home for the equaliser after 89 minutes and earn a replay which both sides could have done without.

MK DonsTeam NameQueens Park Rangers
3Shots On Target2
1Shots Off Target3
0Blocked Shots1
8Fouls Conceded10
0Yellow Cards0
0Red Cards0

  • Share:



Related Profiles