Select a Team

Capital One Cup

Goodison Park (ATT 17,647) 21st September 2011 - Kick off 20:00 Ref: J Moss

Everton Everton vs West Bromwich Albion W Brom

Everton 2

M Fellaini (89)
P Neville (103)


W Brom 1

C Brunt (pen 57)

After Extra Time

Neville the hero in Everton win

Toffees hit back from a goal down to progress

Last Updated: 22/09/11 9:07am

  • Share:
Neville: Wonder goal sends Everton into fourth round of the Carling Cup

Neville: Wonder goal sends Everton into fourth round of the Carling Cup

An extra-time goal from Phil Neville sent Everton through to the fourth round of the Carling Cup after a 2-1 win against West Brom at Goodison Park.

The visitors broke the deadlock just before the hour mark. Somen Tchoyi's direct run found Peter Odemwingie in the area and he was brought down by Everton goalkeeper Jan Mucha for a penalty which Chris Brunt buried from 12 yards.

It was the Northern Ireland International's first goal since scoring two penalties against Liverpool in the Premier League back in April.

Just as the Baggies thought they had done enough to progress, Marouane Fellaini, making his 100th appearance for the Toffees, rescued the hosts a minute from time. The Belgian wrapped the ball around his left-foot to volley home from the edge of the area to the delight of the Goodison Park faithful and force extra-time.

And two minutes before the end of the first period, the hosts took the lead with summer signing Royston Drenthe heavily involved in the move.

The Dutchman created an opening for the 33-year-old Neville to smash his left-foot shot into the roof of the net for only his fifth goal in his 247th appearance for the club.


For long periods, however, it appeared the Toffees would struggle to score one goal never mind two.

Just as they had done against Wigan on Saturday - when they came from behind to win - Everton got an early grip of the game but struggled to make it count.

Summer loan signing Denis Stracqualursi, on his first start, fired an early shot wide with Fellaini flicking a header past the far post from Leighton Baines' left-wing cross, Jack Rodwell bundling a shot well off target and Royston Drenthe, also on full debut, forcing Marton Fulop into a save at his near post.

The Baggies were similarly toothless as only Peter Odemwingie looked threatening.

He left Phil Jagielka struggling to keep his footing as he danced past him and centre-back partner John Heitinga on the edge of the area only to shoot wide.

Odemwingie produced a similar result with another long-range shot having run through the inside-right channel.

The second half began the same as the first but Seamus Coleman should have done better having worked an opening for himself on the right of the area, shooting tamely at Fulop.

Another Drenthe free-kick picked out Fellaini at the far post and he nodded back to Ross Barkley whose wild swing diverted the ball to Stracqualursi but he hooked a shot straight at the goalkeeper.

But as had been the case at the weekend, the visitors hit Everton with a counter-attack goal in the 56th minute.

Somen Tchoyi's through-ball sent Odemwingie clean through and as Jan Mucha raced off his line there was going to be only one winner.

The goalkeeper escaped with a yellow card for his foul and Brunt smashed home the penalty.


Everton ramped up the pressure in the closing stages with Apostolos Vellios, who had replaced Barkley just past the hour, glancing a header wide, Fellaini nodding weakly into Fulop's arms and Baines drilling a 20-yard free-kick into the wall.

With a minute of normal time remaining, Fellaini's well-controlled volley from the edge of the area found the bottom corner of the net to force an extra 30 minutes.

Odemwingie could have won it in the fifth minute of added time after weaving past Jagielka and Mucha but his angled shot flew over.

Neville did not make the same mistake in the 103rd minute when Drenthe cut the ball back to him and he curled a left-footed shot past Fulop from 25 yards.

  • Share: