Select a Team

Barclays Premier League

Britannia Stadium (ATT 27,535) 24th March 2012 - Kick off 17:30 Ref: H Webb

Stoke Stoke City vs Manchester City Man City

Stoke 1

P Crouch (59)


Man City 1

Y Toure (76)

Man City back on top

Toure long-ranger cancels out Crouch wonder goal

Last Updated: 24/03/12 10:01pm

  • Share:
Manchester City's David Silva and Stoke's Robert Huth fight for the same ball

Manchester City's David Silva and Stoke's Robert Huth fight for the same ball

Manchester City have returned to the top of the Premier League but only on goal difference following a 1-1 draw with Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium.

Man of the match: Man City's work horse and goalscorer Yaya Toure. Goal of the game: Peter Crouch's dipping volley which opened the scoring. Moment of the match: Stoke's opener in the 59th minute, pegging back a hard working Man City. Attempt of the match: Wilson Palacios' late curling effort which fizzed just wide of the mark. Save of the match: Pablo Zabaleta's goal-line clearance in first-half stoppage-time. Talking point: Referee Howard Webb's decision to not award Stoke a penalty after the ball appeared to strike Adam Johnson's hand.

Peter Crouch's wonder goal gave Stoke the lead after 59 minutes but Yaya Toure's deflected effort from 35 yards in the 76th minute proved to be enough for Roberto Mancini's side to muster an away point.

The result means that City are now level on 70 points with title rivals Manchester United but ahead on goal difference, although the Red Devils have a game in hand.

First-half action

City controlled the early possession but Stoke showed their muscularity from early on and ensured the visitors could not impose themselves.

Stoke had the first serious opening when Crouch headed down a cross for Cameron Jerome but the former Birmingham striker, operating as a midfielder, could not connect with his acrobatic effort.

Jonathan Walters was again partnered with Crouch up front and he took aim after Glenn Whelan cut inside but screwed his shot well wide.

City were unable to get a clear sight at goal as Silva and Zabaleta both had efforts deflected wide and Toure shot over from distance. Zabaleta also spurned a chance by choosing to pass instead of shoot.

Controversy broke out when Dean Whitehead caught David Silva in the face with his arm challenging for a high ball.

Silva's discomfort was obvious as he required lengthy treatment and eventually returned to the action wearing a bandage, although even that did not seem to convince the Stoke fans booing him.

Whitehead escaped with a talking to from referee Howard Webb, who also spoke to City captain Micah Richards in an effort to calm the situation.

There were further problems moment later when Mario Balotelli was hauled back by an arm around the head from Ryan Shawcross but, despite the protestations of Mancini, a free-kick was the only outcome.

Edin Dzeko headed a fine chance for City over soon after and the visitors suffered further frustration when Gareth Barry was booked after losing possession and pulling back Jerome.

Stoke thought they were about to take the lead in the 41st minute when a Matthew Etherington corner was met by a deft glancing header from Shawcross but Zabaleta cleared off the line.

Dzeko had a chance to break the deadlock in the opening minute of the second half as he controlled a lofted pass from Barry but he could not get it down quick enough to round Asmir Begovic.

Wonder goals

City had a moment of alarm as the ball was lofted in to their box but Hart blocked an effort from Walters at point-blank range.

Stoke claimed the lead with Crouch's sensational strike just before the hour.

It came via route one as a long clearance from Begovic was headed on by Crouch but there was nothing crude about the finish.

The striker brilliantly flicked up a return header from Pennant and twisted to volley into the top corner from 30 yards.

Mancini reacted quickly by sending on Adam Johnson for Silva in the hope of gaining more width.

The game was continually punctuated by fouls and City became increasingly frustrated as they sought a way back in.

Mancini finally turned to Carlos Tevez with 16 minutes remaining, the controversial Argentinian entering the fray to loud booing - all from home fans.

Tevez was not involved, but the game changed moments later as Toure, with seemingly nothing on, unleashed a ferocious shot from 30 yards.

It took a crucial deflection off the head of Shawcross and Begovic could do nothing but palm it into the back of the net.

City threw men forward in search of a winner but Stoke held out and went close themselves when Johnson deflected a shot narrowly wide of his own goal.

Shawcross even turned the ball in but Webb disallowed the goal for an infringement. Toure tried his luck again from the edge of the area but shot over.

  • Share:



Barclays Premier League

Barclays Premier League
Pos Team P Pts
1 Chelsea 38 87
2 Manchester City 38 79
3 Arsenal 38 75
4 Manchester United 38 70
5 Tottenham Hotspur 38 64
6 Liverpool 38 62
7 Southampton 38 60
8 Swansea City 38 56
9 Stoke City 38 54
10 Crystal Palace 38 48
11 Everton 38 47
12 West Ham United 38 47
13 West Bromwich Albion 38 44
14 Leicester City 38 41
15 Newcastle United 38 39
16 Sunderland 38 38
17 Aston Villa 38 38
18 Hull City 38 35
19 Burnley 38 33
20 Queens Park Rangers 38 30