Select a Team

Barclays Premier League

DW Stadium (ATT 17,392) 19th November 2011 - Kick off 15:00 Ref: A Marriner

Wigan Wigan Athletic vs Blackburn Rovers Blackburn

Wigan 3

J Gomez (7)
G Caldwell (31)
A Crusat (88)


Blackburn 3

Yakubu (2, pen 90+9)
D Dunn (S/O 48)
J Hoilett (59)

Yakubu breaks Wigan hearts

Late penalty rescues point for 10 men Rovers as Wigan fail to see game out

Last Updated: 20/11/11 4:03pm

  • Share:
Yakubu scored a stoppage-time penalty to rescue a point for Blackburn

Yakubu scored a stoppage-time penalty to rescue a point for Blackburn

Wigan and Blackburn played out a thrilling 3-3 draw at the DW Stadium in a game that proved to be anything but boring.

Man of the match: Yakubu worked hard as the lone forward for Blackburn and grabbed two goals Attempt of the match: Long range Pederson free-kick in 19th minute. Beat the wall, the goalkeeper but hit the post. Save of the match: Paul Robinson's point blank save from Rodallega. Talking point: Blackburn's second goal when Morten Gamst Pedersen took a corner to himself. Goal of the game: Gary Caldwell loses his marker and fires in with his head.

The bottom of the table clash had everything - poor defending, a red card, a goal which perhaps should have been disallowed and a stoppage-time penalty.

When David Dunn saw red after 48 minutes the game looked to be Wigan's for the taking but the Latics lacked the finishing touch.

The build-up play was good, but they will be in real trouble this season if they continue to waste chances.

The result will not have helped either sides' cause though as safety is slipping further away for Wigan and Blackburn and the threat of relegation now looms large.

The pressure on both managers is also increasing with fans of both clubs voicing their anger towards the dugouts throughout the game.

Rovers grabbed the lead after just 68 seconds when Yakubu lobbed goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi.

Wigan were level through Jordi Gomez seven minutes later and ahead through captain Gary Caldwell after 31 minutes, but Junior Hoilett equalised before a breathless finale in which either side could have claimed the points.

After eight straight Premier League losses, Roberto Martinez's Wigan started the game in desperate need of points but opposite number Steve Kean also knew it was potentially critical to his future.

And a nervy game exploded into life in an instant with Yakubu pouncing on the end of a Steven Nzonzi header and lobbing the opener over Al Habsi with just 68 seconds on the clock.

Yakubu's strike must have delighted the Rovers owners but Martinez's men hit back with Victor Moses having a loud penalty appeal turned down.

But it took just seven minutes for the Latics to level when Grant Hanley's half-clearance fell to Gomez, who lashed a swinging left-foot shot home from the edge of the box.

Dunn and Ruben Rochina were both booked by referee Andre Marriner in a manic first quarter of an hour in which both these struggling sides looked well up for battle.

The home side's committed play paid off again in the 31st minute when they grabbed the lead, Caldwell wriggling free of his marker to power home a header from a David Jones corner.

And Wigan should have gone further ahead in the 38th minute when Ronnie Stam found space on the left and delivered a cross which Moses blazed over the bar from eight yards.

With the home side well on top, discontent began to brew among the swelled ranks of Rovers supporters behind the goal, with some chants directed at the removal of Kean and the owners.

Jones looped a long-range effort just wide for Wigan at the start of the second half before Rovers were reduced to 10 men when Dunn received a second yellow card for hacking down Moses.

The Rovers owners missed their side's equaliser on the hour when a short corner deceived the Wigan defence and Pedersen crossed for Hoilett to prod in at point-blank range.

But there was controversy over the equaliser with replays appearing to clearly show Pedersen take two touches from the set-piece before delivering the ball in for the goal.

Rovers missed a great chance to reclaim the lead in the 72nd minute when Yakubu sprang clear and rounded Al Habsi before a brilliant saving challenge from Steve Gohouri.

Crusat, a replacement for Gomez after 68 minutes, brought a fine save out of Robinson from long range before the keeper stood firm to deny Rodallega from six yards.

Crusat then netted what appeared to be the winner in the 88th minute when Rodallega headed down and the striker prodded a low effort which deceived Robinson and bobbled into the net.

But there was still time for Yakubu to send Al Habsi the wrong way from the penalty spot to bring down the curtain on a remarkable DW Stadium clash.

Wigan AthleticTeam StatisticsBlackburn Rovers
21st Half Goals1
6Shots on Target3
12Shots off Target5
8Blocked Shots1
2Yellow Cards2
0Red Cards1
82.9Passing Success75.9
81Tackles Success64.7
59.4Territorial Advantage40.6
409Total Passes290
29Total Crosses6
143Lost Balls145

  • Share:



Barclays Premier League

Barclays Premier League
Pos Team P Pts
1 Chelsea 38 87
2 Manchester City 38 79
3 Arsenal 38 75
4 Manchester United 38 70
5 Tottenham Hotspur 38 64
6 Liverpool 38 62
7 Southampton 38 60
8 Swansea City 38 56
9 Stoke City 38 54
10 Crystal Palace 38 48
11 Everton 38 47
12 West Ham United 38 47
13 West Bromwich Albion 38 44
14 Leicester City 38 41
15 Newcastle United 38 39
16 Sunderland 38 38
17 Aston Villa 38 38
18 Hull City 38 35
19 Burnley 38 33
20 Queens Park Rangers 38 30