Select a Team

Sky Bet Championship

The City Ground (ATT 20,005) 23rd August 2008 - Kick off 15:00 Ref: M Haywood

N Forest Nottingham Forest vs Watford Watford


Tyson gives Forest first victory

Smith's brace in vain for Watford

Last Updated: 23/08/08 6:10pm

  • Share:
Tyson: Winning goal

Tyson: Winning goal

Nathan Tyson grabbed the winner for Nottingham Forest as battling Watford were defeated at the City Ground.

Lee Martin gave the home side the lead in the 10th minute, only for Tommy Smith to level for the Hornets.

Rob Earnshaw then restored Forest's advantage before the interval, Smith grabbed his second of the game after the break, only for Tyson to have the final say.

Watford started brightly and created the first chance after four minutes, but Lee Williamson's 20-yard strike flew wide of Paul Smith's left-hand post.

Two minutes later, Jon Harley found space on the edge of the box but he could only volley the ball over the bar.


Despite Watford's early ascendancy, it was the hosts who took the lead after 10 minutes as Martin lifted a superb shot over Watford goalkeeper Mart Poom from 25 yards.

The goal lifted Forest, and they almost doubled their lead five minutes later when Chris Cohen brought a good save from Poom.

Earnshaw then forced the Estonian goalkeeper into further action with a powerful 20-yard strike, before Watford fought back to equalise through Smith on 22 minutes.

Harley's corner was cleverly flicked on by Leigh Bromby's back-heel, and Smith was on hand to bundle the ball home from close range.

Watford were forced into a substitution four minutes later, with Will Hoskins replacing the injured Jobi McAnuff.

Grzegorz Rasiak then missed a good chance to give the Hornets the lead after 34 minutes when he headed over from six yards, and Watford were punished almost immediately as Earnshaw put the hosts back in front.


The Wales international latched on to a Guy Moussi pass, before slotting the ball past Poom from 12 yards.

Martin continued to threaten after the break, firing two shots over the bar in the opening five minutes of the second period.

Rasiak also saw an effort fly over the top for Watford, as they tried desperately to get back on level terms.

Their efforts were rewarded just after the hour when Smith grabbed his second goal.

Lloyd Doyley picked out the 28-year-old inside the penalty area, and Smith clinically drilled the ball home to bring the Hornets level for a second time.

Earnshaw then struck the post with a free-kick, before Forest took the lead for a third time after 69 minutes - through Tyson.

The former Wycombe forward had been on the pitch for less than four minutes as a replacement for Garath McCleary, and he wasted no time in making an impact by firing home the winner from six yards.

Earnshaw and Tyson both missed chances to extend Forest's lead, but it proved irrelevant as they held on.

  • Share:



Sky Bet Championship

Sky Bet Championship
Pos Team P Pts
1 Bournemouth 39 73
2 Watford 39 72
3 Middlesbrough 39 72
4 Norwich City 39 70
5 Derby County 39 67
6 Ipswich Town 39 67
7 Brentford 39 66
8 Wolverhampton Wanderers 39 65
9 Nottingham Forest 39 57
10 Blackburn Rovers 39 54
11 Charlton Athletic 39 54
12 Sheffield Wednesday 39 53
13 Leeds United 39 52
14 Cardiff City 39 51
15 Birmingham City 38 47
16 Brighton and Hove Albion 39 45
17 Bolton Wanderers 39 45
18 Huddersfield Town 39 44
19 Reading 38 44
20 Fulham 39 43
21 Rotherham United 39 40
22 Wigan Athletic 39 35
23 Millwall 39 33
24 Blackpool 39 23