Select a Team

Capital One Cup

Griffin Park (ATT 8,960) 21st September 2010 - Kick off 19:45 Ref: M Oliver

Brentford Brentford vs Everton Everton

Brentford 1

G Alexander (41)


Everton 1

S Coleman (6)

Brentford win 4-3 on penalties

Bees sting sorry Everton

Beckford and Jagielka fluff lines as Bees earn famous victory

By Danny Wright.   Last Updated: 22/09/10 9:03am

  • Share:
Brentford: Penalty triumph

Brentford: Penalty triumph

Brentford dumped out Everton to make the fourth round of the Carling Cup for only the second time in their history thanks to a 4-3 win on penalties.

The defeat continues a miserable start to the campaign for the Toffees - their worst in 16 years - while Andy Scott's League One hopefuls celebrated their dramatic victory with a post-match pitch invasion at Griffin Park.

Everton hit on the counter-attack to take the lead through Seamus Coleman, who fired home past Richard Lee with six minutes gone after good link-up play from Aiyegbeni Yakubu and Diniyar Bilyaletdinov allowed the Irishman to finish.

Karleigh Osborne nearly tuned into his own net to hand Everton a second but Brentford hit back after Myles Weston set-up Gary Alexander to power home a header four minutes shy of the interval.

Coleman's night nearly turned sour when he brought down Weston in the box but Jan Mucha spared his team mates' blushes with a brilliant save from Charlie MacDonald's 58th minute spot-kick. Both sides had chances to earn a winner as the encounter opened out and went to extra-time and penalties.

The scores remained level in the shoot-out until Lee foiled Jermaine Beckford with a splendid save before MacDonald courageously stepped up again to make it 4-3. Phil Jagielka then cracked his effort against the post after to give the Bees a night to remember.


Phil Neville, who had been absent since the opening day with a foot injury, gave Everton a boost by returning to a line-up that also included a first start for Yakubu. Scott made only one change from Saturday's draw against Huddersfield, with Lee replacing Ben Hamer in goal.

It took Everton just six minutes to break the deadlock when Yakubu found Diniyar Bilyaletdinov and the Russian laid the ball to the unmarked Coleman to smash past Lee.

Everton turned up the pressure, going close with a Jagielka header before Lee raced out to scramble the ball away from Yakubu, who had been played through by the impressive Gueye from the right flank.

Brentford started to get back into the game around the half-hour mark. MacDonald's header sailed just over the bar before the home side claimed they should have had a penalty when Bilyaletdinov clumsily ran into the back of Weston inside the box but referee Michael Oliver failed to point to the spot.

The home crowd then erupted as Brentford equalised when Weston broke down the right to cross for Alexander, who powered a header past Jan Mucha.

Coleman then turned villain by giving away a penalty when he pulled the back of Weston's shirt inside the box. But Mucha, who was only making his second Toffees appearance, spared Coleman's blushes by saving to his right from MacDonald's spot-kick.

Moyes looked to Mikael Arteta and Stephen Pienaar for inspiration as they came on with 20 minutes left. Lee came to Brentford's rescue once more when he saved low down from Gueye inside the box.

Brentford still looked dangerous though, and Toumani Diagouraga came within inches of putting Scott's side ahead seven minutes from time with a volleyed lob that drifted just over the bar.

Pulsating end-to-end finish

Pim Balkestein then saved the Bees with a last-ditch tackle to deny Everton as the crowd were being treated to a pulsating end-to-end finish. Coleman then burst past two Brentford defenders before drawing a terrific reaction save from Lee in the dying minutes of normal time.

Osman had the first chance of extra-time when he wriggled his way past two defenders before blazing a shot over from 20 yards. Jagielka's header was cleared off the line in a desperate scramble in added time at the end of the first period as Brentford looked content to hang on for penalties.

Everton resumed their onslaught after the break, with Arteta forcing Lee into a spectacular one-handed diving save. Osman then broke into the box before sending his strike over Lee's goal.

The home supporters urged their side on as they kept possession well to frustrate the Toffees and take the game to penalties.

Leighton Baines powered the first spot-kick home before Weston beat Mucha to his left. Neville then put Everton 2-1 up but Nicky Forster's well-placed finish levelled things at 2-2.

Spillane then matched Arteta's strike to take it to 3-3 before Lee dove to his left to save from Beckford. MacDonald's goal then meant Jagielka had to score to keep Everton in the tie but his shot hit the post and the home fans spilled onto the pitch in jubilant celebration.

Team NameBrentfordEverton
Shots On Target513
Shots Off Target814
Blocked Shots32
Fouls Conceded1624
Yellow Cards02
Red Cards00

  • Share:

Latest Poll