Select a Team

Capital One Cup

Fratton Park (ATT 8,412) 24th August 2010 - Kick off 19:45 Ref: Dave Phillips

Portsmth Portsmouth vs Crystal Palace C Palace

Portsmth 1

D Nugent (57)


C Palace 1

I Sonko (og 81)
W Zaha (S/O 86)

Portsmouth win 4-3 on penalties

Pompey progress on pens

Hughes holds nerve in sudden death to down Eagles

Last Updated: 24/08/10 11:47pm

  • Share:
Hughes: Penalty hero

Hughes: Penalty hero

Richard Hughes struck the decisive blow as Portsmouth won a dramatic penalty shoot-out to dump Crystal Palace out of the Carling Cup.

SKY SPORTS ON SKY There's more live football on Sky Sports than ever before, including the Barclays Premier League, UEFA Champions League, Clydesdale Bank Premier League, England away Euro 2012 qualifiers and La Liga. With four live Sky Sports channels, as well as Sky Sports News, you'll never miss a moment on Sky. Click here for more.

David Nugent put Pompey ahead just before the hour-mark but Ibrahima Sonko's own goal with nine minutes remaining sent the tie into extra-time.

Palace were then reduced to 10 men five minutes after the equaliser when Wilfried Zaha was shown a straight red card for a late challenge on Carl Dickinson.

But Pompey could not capitalise on their numerical advantage in extra-time and the tie went to penalties.

In the regulation shoot-out, Kieran Djilali and Jonathan Obika both missed for the Eagles, while Tommy Smith's effort for Pompey was saved by Julian Speroni.

This meant Nadir Ciftci had the chance to win the tie with Pompey's fifth spot-kick, but he missed to send the shoot-out into sudden death.

Nathaniel Clyne saw his penalty saved by home keeper Jamie Ashdown but Dickinson failed to win it for Pompey.

The inspired Ashdown also saved from Adam Barrett before Hughes held his nerve to send Steve Cotterill's side through.

Davids debut

Former Holland international Edgar Davids, who signed for Palace on a pay-as-you-play deal last week, made a surprise debut considering his lack of competitive football in the past two years.

He was involved in most of what George Burley's side did. Owen Garvan and Pablo Counago, also making his Palace debut, sent shots over the crossbar before the half-hour mark.

Kieran Djilali and Andy Dorman also threatened before the break as Palace monopolised the first-half chances.

They forced Jamie Ashdown into action for the first time two minutes after the break when he had to tip Zaha's shot over.

But Nugent struck against the run of play after 57 minutes with Pompey's first real effort on goal. Richard Hughes provided the assist from the left and Nugent struck for the first time this season from 12 yards out.

It sprung Portsmouth into life. Tommy Smith and Dickinson tried their luck from long range before Smith turned the ball over the crossbar from inside the six-yard box.

Ciftci then went close with a shot from the edge of the area.

Palace were level when Sonko turned Kieron Cadogan's cross into his own net but their joy was shortlived as Zaha was sent off.

Speroni saved from West Brom target Marc Wilson in extra time before Hughes held his nerve to win it from the spot.

  • Share: