Select a Team

Sky Bet Championship

Home Park (ATT 14,789) 9th August 2008 - Kick off 15:00 Ref: K Friend

Plymouth Plymouth Argyle vs Wolverhampton Wanderers Wolves


Wolves 2

Vokes is Wolves hero

Wolves come from behind twice to share the spoils

Last Updated: 09/08/08 5:45pm

  • Share:
Vokes: Dream debut

Vokes: Dream debut

Teenage striker Sam Vokes made a dream Wolves debut by netting 12 minutes from time to give Mick McCarthy's men a share of the Championship spoils against Plymouth.

The 18-year-old former Bournemouth player climbed off the bench to net the equaliser, the second time Wolves had come from behind in the game.

Rory Fallon had scored the opener at Home Park before Michael Kightly equalised for Wolves and then Marcel Seip appeared to have netted a second-half winner for the home side but Vokes again levelled.

McCarthy's opposite number Paul Sturrock fielded four debutants but they took no time at all to gel and summer signing Graham Stack helped the hosts take the lead after just seven minutes of the new campaign.

The former Arsenal, Reading and Leeds goalkeeper launched a long kick from his own half which unsettled the Wolves defence and Fallon showed great awareness to sneak in and chip the ball over Wayne Hennessey from the edge of the penalty area.

Volleying home

McCarthy's Wolves side then struggled to create any noteworthy chances before Kightly drew the visitors level in the 19th minute by volleying home right-footed from close range after Kevin Foley had cut in from the right flank.

Kightly's equaliser sparked Wolves into life and the former Grays winger tested Stack from 30 yards out shortly after and then Sylvan Ebanks-Blake fired just over from 25 yards against his former club.

Former Manchester United trainee David Jones then drilled wide from long range just before the half-hour mark as Wolves began to dominate proceedings.

Jamie Mackie headed Mathias Doumbe's cross over on a rare Argyle attack and Stack kept out Kightly's 18-yard free-kick at the other end to ensure an entertaining opening 45 minutes ended all-square.

Ten minutes after the restart, Plymouth restored their lead. The goal came after Hennessey did well to palm away Mackie's 12-yard initial effort, but from the resulting Chris Clark cross, Seip unleashed an unstoppable left-foot volley from six yards.

The Dutchman went close to adding his second of the afternoon just after the hour, again after good link-up play with Clark, but this time his header flashed wide.

Inspired form

Kightly continued to cause the home side problems but again found Stack in inspired form with a 20-yard shot saved before McCarthy sent on new boy Chris Iwelumo in the hope of mustering an equaliser.

With 20 minutes remaining, Stack then pulled off a triple save to deny Ebanks-Blake and George Elokobi twice all in the space of a minute.

McCarthy then introduced Vokes at the expense of Ebanks-Blake and he made an instant impact, exchanging passes with fellow substitute Iwelumo before firing low past Stack from just inside the penalty area.

Jason Puncheon twice went close to scoring a winner for Plymouth late on, but the home side never recovered.

  • Share:



Sky Bet Championship

Sky Bet Championship
Pos Team P Pts
1 Birmingham City 0 0
2 Blackburn Rovers 0 0
3 Blackpool 0 0
4 Bolton Wanderers 0 0
5 Bournemouth 0 0
6 Brentford 0 0
7 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 0
8 Cardiff City 0 0
9 Charlton Athletic 0 0
10 Derby County 0 0
11 Fulham 0 0
12 Huddersfield Town 0 0
13 Ipswich Town 0 0
14 Leeds United 0 0
15 Middlesbrough 0 0
16 Millwall 0 0
17 Norwich City 0 0
18 Nottingham Forest 0 0
19 Reading 0 0
20 Rotherham United 0 0
21 Sheffield Wednesday 0 0
22 Watford 0 0
23 Wigan Athletic 0 0
24 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 0