Select a Team

Sky Bet Championship

Oakwell Stadium (ATT 11,668) 21st February 2009 - Kick off 15:00 Ref: M Oliver

Barnsley Barnsley vs Charlton Athletic Charlton

Stalemate ensues at Oakwell

Addicks battle to claim a share of spoils

Last Updated: 21/02/09 6:21pm

  • Share:
Parkinson: Had to settle for point

Parkinson: Had to settle for point

Charlton remain rooted to the foot of the Championship table despite a battling point at Oakwell against Barnsley.

The result follows on from an encouraging win against Plymouth last weekend but eight points from safety, Addicks boss Phil Parkinson is right to be very worried.

In truth the deadlock never looked like being broken in a stalemate that will not live long in the memory.

The best effort of a dire first period saw Andranik Teymourian blaze well wide from the edge of the box.

And despite both sides having a number of opportunities to snatch the win in the second half, they were forced to settle for a point.

Barnsley boss Simon Davey stuck with the same side that ended their Hillsborough hoodoo in midweek in a 1-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday.

Darren Moore and Jamal Campbell-Ryce played their final games before serving one-match bans, while the Tykes boss opted not to rest Teymourian, who was substituted in midweek due to fatigue.

Burton ban

Bottom club Charlton were without Deon Burton, who served a one-match ban, while Tom Soares, who recently extended his loan stay from Stoke, led the line with Tresor Kandol as expected.

Fresh from their first victory at Wednesday since 1979, the home side made a positive start with Coventry loanee Michael Mifsud looking lively.

Defender Marciano Van Homoet fizzed the ball across the face of goal early on but none of the advancing Barnsley attackers could get the decisive touch.

The ball eventually fell to Teymourian but he failed to find the target from the left-hand side of the area and did not trouble Addicks goalkeeper Rob Elliot with his follow-up effort.

Minutes later Mifsud went on a mazy run and jinked past Charlton defender Mark Hudson.

He drove the ball into the box but it again lacked a final touch. Daniel Bogdanovic and Mifsud both had further efforts blocked as the hosts went on the offensive.

But, despite their dominance, they were unable to carve out any clear-cut chances, much to the frustration of the home crowd.

The visitors were not without chances of their own and Tykes goalkeeper Heinz Muller did well to hold a looping header from Hudson just before the break.

The Addicks had what looked a penalty waved away by referee Michael Oliver 10 minutes after the interval.

Penalty appeal

Striker Chris Dickson somehow got himself goal-side of Moore and the defender looked to haul him down but Oliver waved play on.

Moments later Dickson cut in from the left and curled a shot towards goal with the outside of his boot.

But Moore was well placed at the far post and did well to clear the ball off the line.

Moore had a rare chance to score in the 65th minute but he skewed it wide after the Addicks defence failed to clear a Campbell-Ryce corner to safety.

Charlton's Nicky Bailey stung Muller's palms from 20 yards out and substitute Jon Macken could only head straight into Elliot's arms as the draw looked increasingly likely.

Both sides had late chances with Hugo Colace blocking a Dickson shot and Elliot saving a dipping Campbell-Ryce effort as the game finished goalless.

  • Share:



Sky Bet Championship

Sky Bet Championship
Pos Team P Pts
1 Bournemouth 39 73
2 Watford 39 72
3 Middlesbrough 39 72
4 Norwich City 39 70
5 Derby County 39 67
6 Ipswich Town 39 67
7 Brentford 39 66
8 Wolverhampton Wanderers 39 65
9 Nottingham Forest 39 57
10 Blackburn Rovers 39 54
11 Charlton Athletic 39 54
12 Sheffield Wednesday 39 53
13 Leeds United 39 52
14 Cardiff City 39 51
15 Birmingham City 38 47
16 Brighton and Hove Albion 39 45
17 Bolton Wanderers 39 45
18 Huddersfield Town 39 44
19 Reading 38 44
20 Fulham 39 43
21 Rotherham United 39 40
22 Wigan Athletic 39 35
23 Millwall 39 33
24 Blackpool 39 23