Select a Team

The FA Cup

Glanford Park (ATT 5,457) 2nd January 2010 - Kick off 15:00 Ref: D Foster

Scunthorpe Scunthorpe United vs Barnsley Barnsley

Scunthorpe 1

P Hayes (68)


Hayes haunts Tykes

Striker's goal enough to send Iron into fourth round

Last Updated: 02/01/10 5:59pm

  • Share:
Hayes: Booked fourth-round spot

Hayes: Booked fourth-round spot

Paul Hayes' goal lit up a drab FA Cup third-round encounter as Scunthorpe defeated Barnsley 1-0 at Glanford Park.

The former Tykes striker scored in the 68th minute of what had proved a forgettable meeting to send his old club out of the competition.

Hayes scored at Oakwell when the two sides met in the Championship earlier this season and he returned to haunt the South Yorkshire club once again.

Barnsley reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup in 2007/08, but they will not be repeating those heroics this season after Mark Robins' side produced a less-than-impressive display.

The Tykes had their first attempt at goal after 10 minutes but Iron goalkeeper Josh Lillis comfortably dealt with Anderson De Silva's 20-yard drive.

And the visitors fashioned another opportunity after 21 minutes when Jacob Butterfield swung in a free-kick from the right which Daniel Bogdanovic headed over the crossbar.

Scunthorpe started to ask more questions of the Barnsley defence and Jonathan Forte headed down for Martyn Woolford, but the midfielder blasted over the crossbar from just outside the penalty area.

Former York man Woolford then floated over a dangerous cross that evaded everybody and went out for a Barnsley goal-kick.

Out of jail

Luke Steele then got out of jail after racing out of his penalty area and missing the ball, with the former Manchester United goalkeeper redeeming himself with a saving tackle on Hayes.

Lillis was called into action at the other end to palm away a left-footed drive from Tykes midfielder Emil Hallfredsson three minutes before the break.

Scunthorpe lost skipper Rob Jones to injury just after half-time, with long-term injury victim Kenny Milne coming on for his first appearance since August 2008.

Hallfredsson did well to pick out De Silva at the back post but the Brazilian midfielder failed to test Lillis with a poor finish.

Scunthorpe came close on the hour mark when Garry Thompson's left-footed strike was deflected narrowly wide by Stephen Foster.

Foster should have broken the deadlock at the other end after 61 minutes but the central defender headed straight at Lillis after being picked out by Bobby Hassell.

But it was Scunthorpe who finally took the lead after 68 minutes when Forte crossed from the right for strike partner Hayes, who ghosted in to tuck the ball home from 12 yards out.

Bogdanovic spurned a chance to restore parity 19 minutes from time as the striker fired a right-footed finish wide of the target.

Substitute Jon Macken made some space for himself but shot straight at a grateful Lillis from 25 yards and Scunthorpe held on to progress to the fourth round.

  • Share: