Select a Team

The FA Cup sponsored by Budweiser

The Keepmoat Stadium (ATT 5,345) 20th January 2009 - Kick off 19:45 Ref: S Attwell

Doncaster Doncaster Rovers vs Cheltenham Town Cheltenhm

Rovers secure Villa tie

Stock at the double for Rovers

Last Updated: 20/01/09 11:03pm

  • Share:
Stock: Two-goal hero

Stock: Two-goal hero

Doncaster booked an FA Cup fourth-round clash with Aston Villa with a 3-0 win over Cheltenham in their third-round replay.

Brian Stock inspired Doncaster to victory with two goals with Sam Hird also netting his first goal for the club.

Rovers skipper Stock broke the deadlock after 26 minutes when Stock reacted quickest to score after Martin Woods' free-kick came back off the crossbar.

The home side doubled their lead ten minutes later when Hird found the net from close range.

Doncaster added a third just before the hour mark when Stock smashed home a superb shot into the top corner.

The win means Doncaster welcome Premier League high-fliers Aston Villa to the Keepmoat Stadium this weekend.

The 197 Cheltenham fans who made the long trip north had little to cheer about, with Elvis Hammond and Jonathan Hayes missing good chances.

Doncaster boss Sean O'Driscoll kept faith with the same starting line-up from the weekend win over Southampton, but opposite number Martin Allen was forced to make five changes because of injuries and suspension.

Rovers started confidently, and a quick break saw James O'Connor receive the ball 20 yards out - and his fierce strike stung the palms of Cheltenham goalkeeper Scott Brown.

Shane Duff brought down Richie Wellens on the edge of the box - and after Woods' free-kick bounced off the bar, Stock was on hand to tap in from six yards.


Cheltenham rarely threatened. But Doncaster failed to deal with a long ball, and Ashley Vincent slid in only to see his shot go inches wide.

After that let-off, Doncaster doubled their lead when Woods' corner fell to Spicer and his shot ricocheted for Hird to finish from close range.

The visitors looked brighter in the second half, and three minutes after the break Duff's cross fell to David Bird - whose volley deflected inches wide.

Vincent then neatly headed the ball to Hammond - but be blazed the volley over.

With virtually their first chance of the second half, Doncaster made the game safe.

Cheltenham failed to clear their lines from a short corner, and Stock pounced to fire in an unstoppable shot.

Cheltenham should have had a lifeline when Alex Russell's free-kick found half-time substitute Hayes unmarked at the back post - but he headed wide.

The Robins continued to search for a way back, but the closest they came was a shot from Hammond which Neil Sullivan did well to turn round the post.

Stock hit the bar late on with another vicious, long-range effort.

  • Share:


  • The FA Cup sponsored by Budweiser

    Tue 20th Jan - Third Round
    • Doncaster
      3 - 0


Related Profiles