Select a Team

Capital One Cup

St James' Park, Newcastle (ATT 23,815) 26th August 2009 - Kick off 19:45 Ref: T Bates

Newcastle Newcastle United vs Huddersfield Town Huddsf'ld

Newcastle 4

D Guthrie (36)
Geremi (48)
S Ameobi (pen 64)
K Nolan (84)


Huddsf'ld 3

T Robinson (37, pen 39)
J Rhodes (47)

Magpies edge out Terriers

Nolan's late winner sees Magpies progress in seven-goal thriller

Last Updated: 26/08/09 10:02pm

  • Share:
Ranger tangles with Clarke

Ranger tangles with Clarke

Newcastle came from 3-1 down to beat Huddersfield 4-3 after a seven-goal thriller at St James' Park.

Kevin Nolan completed the Newcastle comeback with the winner six minutes from time to condemn Geordie hero Lee Clark to defeat on his return to Tyneside.

Newcastle, who had not conceded since the opening day of the season, trailed 3-1 two minutes into the second half after Theo Robinson's double and Jordan Rhodes' sixth goal of the season had more than cancelled out Danny Guthrie's opener.

But Geremi and substitute Shola Ameobi, who converted a 64th-minute penalty for his fifth goal of the campaign, drew the home side level and set the stage for Nolan to win it at the death.

Caretaker boss Chris Hughton handed first senior starts to defender Tamas

Kadar, midfielder Kazenga LuaLua and striker Nile Ranger as he rested six of the men who started at Crystal Palace on Saturday - including Steven Taylor, who continues to be linked with a move away from St James' Park.

Town goalkeeper Alex Smithies had to make the first save of the game when

Geremi met Guthrie's 23rd-minute corner with a powerful header, and the Cameroon international only just missed the target from the resulting corner from the opposite flank.


Nolan had a 33rd-minute strike ruled out for offside, but the Magpies did go in front three minutes later when Guthrie ran on to Anthony Pilkington's misplaced pass and cut inside before firing a low left-foot shot past Smithies.

However, the lead lasted just seconds as Town surged forward straight from the kick-off - and Robinson ran through a statuesque defence to level.

Worse was to follow for the Magpies three minutes later when - after Robinson

went down under Tim Krul's challenge - much to the goalkeeper's fury, referee

Tony Bates pointed to the spot. The striker picked himself up to put the visitors in front.

Krul had to save well from Rhodes' left-foot drive five minutes before the

break as Clark's men sensed an opportunity, but the home side held firm until

the break.

Huddersfield went further ahead within two minutes of the restart when Rhodes

collected Danny Drinkwater's long ball and skipped around the advancing

goalkeeper to score from a tight angle.

But the Magpies hit back immediately when Nolan picked out Geremi, and he

calmly side-footed past Smithies.

Defender Andy Butler headed wide from Drinkwater's corner on the hour, but it

was his trip on Ameobi which allowed the Newcastle man to level from the penalty spot with 64 minutes gone.

Ameobi headed a 77th-minute Ryan Taylor just over as the home side looked for a winner, and it took a fine block by Joe Skarz to deny Ranger from point-blank range three minutes later.

But Newcastle finally went ahead with seven minutes remaining when Ameobi

headed Guthrie's free-kick back across goal, and Nolan tapped into the empty


  • Share: