Daniil Kvyat storms to GP3 pole in Abu Dhabi to close in on championship lead
Leader Facu Regalia only tenth fastest for ART
By William Esler
Last Updated: 02/11/13 10:21am
The Russian who last week was confirmed as a Toro Rosso driver for 2014 showed no sign of complacency despite securing the dream move as he dominated the session, finishing almost three tenths faster than Nick Yelloly to take the four points on offer for pole.
Championship leader Facu Regalia did not fare as well, however, and will start tenth for Saturday afternoon's race.
As for the title outsiders, Kevin Korjus is best placed in third, with Jack Harvey fifth, team-mate Conor Daly seventh and long-time leader Tio Ellinas down in 12th.
Things could have been even better for MW Arden had Carlos Sainz not had a time that would have been good enough for the second-row of the grid deleted for running fractionally wide at the final corner and falling foul of the stewards for exceeding track limits. However, the fast-starting Spaniard will surely be a podium threat from sixth on the grid.
Making his return to single-seaters for the first time since being diagnosed with testicular cancer after winning the 2010 F2 title, Dean Stoneman impressed and will start ninth despite his lack of testing. Alice Powell who is also making her first GP3 appearance of the season qualified 24th.
GP3 Qualifying - Abu Dhabi
1) Daniil Kvyat (RUS) - MW Arden - 1:55.473
2) Nick Yelloly (GBR) - Carlin - +0.280
3) Kevin Korjus (EST) - Koiranen GP - +0.312
4) Alexander Sims (GBR) - Carlin - +0.748
5) Jack Harvey (GBR) - ART Grand Prix - +0.792
6) Carlos Sainz (ESP) - MW Arden - +0.919
7) Conor Daly (USA) - ART Grand Prix - +0.969
8) Patric Niederhauser (SUI) - Jenzer Motorsport - +1.014
9) Dean Stoneman (GBR) - Koiranen GP - +1.087
10) Facu Regalia (ARG) - ART Grand Prix - +1.249
12) Tio Ellinas (CYP) - Marussia Manor Racing - +1.455
15) Dino Zamparelli (GBR) - Marussia Manor Racing - +1.808
20) Robert Cregan (IRL) - Trident - +2.567
21) Josh Webster (GBR) - Status Grand Prix - +2.642
24) Alice Powell (GBR) - Bamboo Engineering - +3.080
25) Ryan Cullen (GBR) - Marussia Manor Racing - +3.331