Felipe Nasr finally took his maiden GP2 victory in the Sprint Race at Barcelona
Palmer finishes second to extend championship lead
By William Esler. Last Updated: 11/05/14 11:44am
Click to watch the highlights from the 2nd round of the GP2 season at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona.
Felipe Nasr finally broke his GP2 duck as he took his maiden victory in his 50th race in the series at the Circuit de Catalunya.
The Brazilian has been a regular frontrunner in the championship and had 11 podium finishes to his name, but had never managed to stand on the top step leading some to question if he had the killer mentality needed to graduate to F1.
A good start from sixth on the grid saw Nasr leap up to second on the grid and apply pressure to pole-sitter Tom Dillmann, eventually making a move stick at turn four on the second lap.
Behind them Jolyon Palmer and Rio Haryanto made contact with the Briton losing part of his front-wing for the second race in succession whilst the Caterham driver retired from the race.
The lack of downforce didn't seem to hurt the DAMS man, though, and he made a lovely move on Dillmann for second into turn seven, before quickly closing down Nasr. A long brake pedal put pay to any challenge for the lead, but Palmer held on to take second place and maintain his record of a podium finish after every race in 2014.
Another man pulling off fantastic overtakes was McLaren protégé Stoffel Vandoorne. He swept around the outside of Tio Ellinas at turn four and followed it up immediately by going around the outside of Mitch Evans at turn five - something which must have impressed the watching McLaren team.
GP2 Spain - Sprint Race
1) Felipe Nasr (BRA) - Carlin - 42:01.901
2) Jolyon Palmer (GBR) - DAMS - +7.635
3) Tom Dillmann (FRA) - Arden International - +13.814
4) Arthur Pic (FRA) - Campos Racing - +14.172
5) Julian Leal (COL) - Carlin - +14.732
6) Johnny Cecotto (VEN) - Trident - +18.842
7) Stephane Richelmi (MON) - DAMS - +19.236
8) Stefano Coletti (MON) - Racing Engineering - +22.993
9) Adrian Quaife-Hobbs (GBR) - Rapax - +30.744
10) Stoffel Vandoorne (BEL) - ART Grand Prix - +31.379
1) Jolyon Palmer - 70
2) Julian Leal - 48
3) Felipe Nasr - 42
4) Johnny Cecotto - 29
5) Arthur Pic - 26