Jean-Eric Vergne

Toro Rosso

  • Nationality FRA
  • Standing 13th
  • Points 11

Season info

Jean-Eric Vergne Links

Red Bull name Kimi Raikkonen, Daniel Ricciardo & Jean-Eric Vergne as 2014 candidates

But Lotus boss Boullier suggests there's good chance Kimi might stay

By James Galloway.   Last Updated: 28/06/13 3:00pm

  • Share:

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

A tug-of-war between Red Bull and Lotus is developing for Kimi Raikkonen's services in 2014 with the World Champions having confirmed to Sky Sports F1 that the Finn is one of three candidates to replace Mark Webber.

With Webber having surprised even his Red Bull bosses by emphatically taking himself out of the running for one of F1's most coveted seats on Thursday, the rumour mill as to who his replacement might be has gone into overdrive.

Former World Champion Raikkonen is out of contract with Lotus at the end of the season and was already considered the favourite to replace Webber alongside Sebastian Vettel, even before the Australian's retirement news.

Indeed, the Finn himself confirmed to Sky Sports F1 for the first time in wake of Webber's confirmation that he had held "small talks" with Red Bull about the possibility of joining them for 2014.

Christian Horner, Red Bull's Team Principal, has now admitted to Sky Sports F1 that Raikkonen, along with Toro Rosso pair Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne, are the three drivers in the frame.

"We want the fastest line-up that we can and Kimi's obviously an attractive option," Horner told Martin Brundle at Silverstone after opening practice for the British Grand Prix.

"The youngsters [Ricciardo and Vergne] are attractive as well. We want to take our time and evaluate the options available to us, but the reality is that it's probably between those three."

Asked if the in-form Paul di Resta - who Force India said this week could leave should a top team approach him for 2014 - could also be considered, Horner replied: "Obviously you've got to look at everything and everyone who's available. I'm not sure what Paul's situation is, but as I say, our focus will primarily be on those three guys."

However, while aware that Red Bull are making a serious play to entice his star driver to Milton Keynes, Raikkonen's current boss, Eric Boullier, suggested a move to the World Champions might not actually appeal to the famously laconic and laid-back Finn.

Asked by Ted Kravitz what Lotus needed to do to convince Raikkonen to stay, Boullier said: "I think we did it over the last two years. He just needed a little bit of reassurance about what the plans are for the future because we are in some ways a new team, at least new ownership, and so far we have respected our ambition and our plan.

"So just [it's about] sitting around the table. I know Red Bull is pushing hard to get him on board but I'm not sure this is very comfortable and maybe not as logical for Kimi to go there."

Furthermore, while Boullier acknowledged the appeal for Raikkonen of joining the grid's pre-eminent outfit, the Frenchman intriguingly claimed that his driver had assured him that he had no reason to leave if they could prove themselves capable of becoming serious Championship contenders.

"Red Bull is attractive; it's a World Champion team with a lot of resources," Boullier acknowledged.

"But Kimi's mind is more about having a more comfortable environment. Obviously a winning car [as well]. So if he's convinced we can keep our progress to be a title-contending team in the future, he has no reason to go there and he already confirmed with us [that would be the case]."

  • Share:

Post Comment

*All fields required, your email address will be kept private

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Alonso: 'Judge Max on pace'

Fernando Alonso says Max Verstappen's readiness for F1 should be judged on his performances in 2015 rather than his age.

Max Verstappen will replace Jean-Eric Vergne

Verstappen makes F1 history

Toro Rosso have announced Max Verstappen for the 2015 season making him, at just 17, the youngest driver in F1 history.

Settlement ends Bernie trial

Formula 1 ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone has agreed an £60m settlement to end his bribery case in Germany.

Most Popular

Features

Half-term report

Half-term report

All 22 F1 drivers' performances in the first half of the 2014 season reviewed and rated.

Market trading

Market trading

Which teams already have drivers under lock and key - and which ones could have vacancies - for 2015?

Team-mate battles

Team-mate battles

Jenson v Kevin? Kamui v Marcus? Which drivers seized the initiative during the opening seven races.