2012 Formula 1 quiz part 1 - The Answers
It's time to reveal those all-important answers...
Last Updated: 30/11/12 3:45pm
1. The start of the season produced how many different first-time 2012 winners in succession?
2. Jenson Button won the season-opener in Melbourne, but at which point of the race did he overtake McLaren team-mate Lewis Hamilton for the lead?
At the start on the run to the first corner.
3. Fernando Alonso brilliantly won the European GP in Valencia but where did he start the race from on the grid?
4. At which race did Lewis Hamilton rack up his 100th GP start?
The German Grand Prix.
5. Name two of the other three drivers who reached the century of starts in 2012?
Heikki Kovalainen, Pedro de la Rosa and Sebastian Vettel.
6. Michael Schumacher finished on the podium for the first time since his comeback at the European GP in Valencia. At 43-years-old he became the oldest driver since whom to do so?
Jack Brabham, who finished second at the 1970 British GP aged 44.
7. Fernando Alonso fell one race short of Michael Schumacher's record tally of consecutive points finishes when he was taken out of the first corner at the Belgian GP. How many straight races had he racked up points in until then?
8. McLaren's early-season results were compromised by a string of problematic pit stops, but at the German GP in July they recorded F1's fastest ever pit stop. How long did the stop take?
9. Which team protested the Mercedes's Double DRS system at the Chinese GP?
10. Mark Webber's first pole position of the season came in Monaco, but who did he inherit the position from?
Michael Schumacher, the German having been penalised five grid places for a collision at the previous race.
11. What item of track 'scenery' was flailing from Lewis Hamilton's McLaren in the closing stages of the Korean GP?
A piece of dislodged Astroturf.
12. What was the Sauber radio message to Sergio Perez that prompted a wave of conspiracy theories at the Malaysian GP?
"Checo, be careful, we need this position."
13. Romain Grosjean picked up a one-race ban for causing the multi-car pile-up at the start of the Belgian GP. Besides Fernando Alonso, which other drivers were forced into immediate retirement?
Lewis Hamilton and Sergio Perez.
14. Fernando Alonso led the World Championship by how many points heading into the August summer break?
Forty points from Mark Webber.
15. Why did Kimi Raikkonen plummet to 14th place in the closing stages of the Chinese GP?
The Finn was struggling with badly-worn Pirelli tyres.
16. What did Mark Webber deride Abu Dhabi's Yas Marina circuit as being prior to the venue staging arguably the most exciting grand prix of the year?
A car park.
17. How many positions did Fernando Alonso lose in the closing six laps of the Canadian GP by not pitting for tyres for a second time?
Four, the Spaniard dropped from first to fifth place.
18. Timo Glock claimed the Marussia team's best-ever finish in Singapore, what was it?
19. Which team skipped Practice Two in Bahrain in order to leave the circuit early after some of their mechanics were caught up in a petrol bomb incident on local roads in the build-up to the weekend?
20. What part of their car did Red Bull have to redesign following an F1 technical directive issued after the Monaco GP?
The holes in the RB8's floor.
21. How many consecutive laps did Sebastian Vettel lead for between the Singapore and Indian grands prix? (As it's a tricky one, we'll give you the point if you're within 25 laps of the answer).
22. What was the significance of Sebastian Vettel's 34th career pole position in Japan?
It moved him ahead of Jim Clark and Alain Prost to third behind only Michael Schumacher and Ayrton Senna in the all-time standings.
23. What ground Lewis Hamilton's MP4-27 to a halt while in the lead of the Singapore GP?
A gearbox failure.
24. Nico Hulkenberg pulled off one of the passing moves of the season with a double overtake of two cars during the Korean GP. Which two drivers did he pass?
Romain Grosjean and Lewis Hamilton.
25. Why was Sebastian Vettel handed a 20-second time penalty in the hours following the German Grand Prix?
The Red Bull driver was penalised for passing McLaren's Jenson Button off the track at the hairpin on the penultimate lap. The time penalty meant he dropped from second to fifth.
Make sure you keep an eye out for the second half of our post-season quiz which will appear on the website next week.