Ferrari deny RBR protest plan

Stefano Domenicali has 'no information' that protest is afoot

Last Updated: 27/05/12 5:52pm

  • Share:

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Speculation that rival teams were planning to protest the legality of Red Bull's RB8 in the aftermath of the Monaco GP appears set to come to nothing after Ferrari suggested they had no plans to go to the stewards.

The build-up to Sunday's race was dominated by talk that some of Red Bull's chief rivals had become increasingly unhappy with the World Champions' interpretation of the design rules regarding the rear floor of their car, where an enclosed hole is present in front of the rear tyres, and were likely to lodge an official complaint after the end of the race.

With Mark Webber going on to win the Monaco event for RBR, any protest would have had potentially wide-reaching consequences for the result but speaking to reporters late on Sunday afternoon Ferrari Team Principal Stefano Domenicali - whose team were believed to be most likely to protest their rivals' car - said he had "no information" that such a move was afoot.

"I heard about that in terms of discussion about these kind of things and for sure we need a clarification on this point," he told Sky Sports.

"At the moment I have no information that we are going in this direction [a protest]."

Although Red Bull have stressed their belief that their car is legal, McLaren chief Martin Whitmarsh had earlier told Ted Kravitz live on Sky Sports F1 following the race that he had "heard that Ferrari are protesting but haven't seen the protest yet, so I guess you better ask them."

Domenicali was later asked by Ted why controversy continued to surround some of the current cars' designs six races into the season, the Italian suggesting it was normal for F1 teams to query rules interpretations from time to time.

"It's part of the game. It's part of the complexity of the rules, it's part of the process that is in place with the federation - that's the only thing I can say. It's not easy because there are so many things that have to be considered and, as I said before, I was informed about this discussion but no more than that at the moment," he said.

"I think that we will have other discussions in the future for different details, but this is part of the game."

Sky Sports F1 now understands that Red Bull and the FIA will discuss the issue again and changes could be made to the RB8 for Canada.

  • Share:

Related

Monaco Grand Prix 2012

Martin on the Monaco grid

It's Only The Moaning That's Boring...

Martin Brundle reflects on the difference between what was said before Monaco and what was whinged after the race with the reminder that not every race can be a classic. Perhaps 2012 has been spoiling us this season....

Michael Schumacher: Suffered another DNF

Brawn vows to solve Schu issues

Ross Brawn has promised Michael Schumacher that Mercedes will do everything they can to ensure his car doesn't continue to suffer from reliability problems.

Fernando Alonso: Says Ferrari are heading in the right direction again

Alonso: Next races 'important'

Fernando Alonso has said that the coming weeks remain "important" in the development of Ferrari's F2012 as they look to maintain their recent revival.

Most Popular

Features

On Ringside Special...

On Ringside Special...

A special show is the Real Deal this week as Evander Holyfield looks back on his brilliant career.

Sky Sports Horses

Sky Sports Horses

Find out more about Sky Sports' increased coverage of equestrian events and how you can get involved.

Ups and downs

Ups and downs

Rob Lee blogs on the evergreen Bernhard Langer, Jim Furyk’s scar tissue and the Butch Harmon effect.