Alexander Rossi has parted company with both Caterham’s F1 and GP2 teams

F1 minnows recently sold to Swiss and Middle East investors

By William Esler.   Last Updated: 16/07/14 4:10pm

  • Share:
Alexander Rossi: Parted ways with Caterham

Alexander Rossi: Parted ways with Caterham

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Alexander Rossi has parted company with both Caterham’s F1 and GP2 teams following the former's sale by Tony Fernandes.

The American drove for the F1 outfit in the 2011 Young Driver Test before becoming official test driver the following season. That partnership also saw him race in Formula Renault 3.5 under the Caterham banner in 2012, before switching to their GP2 squad last year with whom he took one win and a further three podium finishes.

Rossi combined his GP2 drive with Practice One outings for Caterham in Canada and the United States and continued that part of his development in Montreal this year.

However, following Caterham F1’s sale to Swiss and Middle East investors two weeks ago, Rossi has now parted ways with both the F1 and GP2 squads with immediate effect.

“It's been an emotional couple of years with @CaterhamF1,” he tweeted. “The highlight being driving with them in Austin last year. Now it's time to move on.”

Rossi will be on the grid at Hockenheim, however, as he fills in for Kimiya Sato at Campos Racing whilst the Japansese driver contests the Auto GP rounds at the Red Bull Ring. His vacated seat at Caterham will be filled by Tom Dillmann.

The 22-year-old has been linked with a future race seat at the new American Haas team, which is aiming to join the grid in 2016. Owner Gene Haas said earlier this year that pairing a young home-grown driver with an experienced F1 hand in his first line-up would be an "ideal situation".

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Martin Whitmarsh: Finally leaves McLaren

Whitmarsh leaves McLaren

McLaren confirmed on Tuesday that former Team Principal Martin Whitmarsh has finally left the company.

Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen: Staying at Ferrari

Ferrari to keep Alonso & Kimi

Ferrari boss Marco Mattiacci has confirmed to Sky Sports F1 that Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso will be retained for 2015.

Alonso: 'Judge Max on pace'

Fernando Alonso says Max Verstappen's readiness for F1 should be judged on his performances in 2015 rather than his age.

Most Popular

Features

Lotterer ousts Kamui

Lotterer ousts Kamui

Three-time Le Mans winner Andre Lotterer replaces Kamui Kobayashi at Caterham at Spa.

Market trading

Market trading

Which teams already have drivers under lock and key - and which ones could have vacancies - for 2015?

New owners

New owners

Ted Kravitz takes you through all the news regarding Tony Fernandes's selling of Caterham.