Heikki Kovalainen thinks he has a 'good chance' of securing a Formula 1 race seat in 2014

Finn was dropped by Caterham at end of 2012 season

By William Esler.   Last Updated: 06/09/13 2:13pm

  • Share:
Heikki Kovalainen: Hopeful of returning to F1 in 2014

Heikki Kovalainen: Hopeful of returning to F1 in 2014

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Heikki Kovalainen thinks he has a "good chance" of returning to the Formula 1 grid in 2014, but admits he is yet to have firm discussions with any team about a race seat.

The Finn was dropped by Caterham at the end of the 2012 season, but was brought back as a development driver after the team endured a difficult start to the season.

"This year I don't know, but next year definitely," he told Sky Sports F1 when asked about his chances of securing a race seat.

"I am not in discussion with any other teams and even with Caterham just at the moment I am just focussing on this role that they have given me this year and I have no firm plans for next year yet.

"I think it is good. It is not 100%, but I'd say I have a good chance. Of course if a sponsor wants to give me a lot of money I don't mind, but I am not going after money.

"There is nothing wrong with that, if someone has the money then why not. There are some good drivers out there who have budgets, but I am not looking for anything - but if someone out there has cash, call me!"

After practice outings in Bahrain and Spain early in the season, Kovalainen returned to the Caterham cockpit in Belgium and again at Monza on Friday as the team wanted to test new updates they had brought to the CT-03.

"I think the reason for doing these two Friday's here and at Spa is we have had quite a few new significant parts on the car and it was to get a comparison from the car I drove earlier this year and also last year was the objective," he explained.

"Having not driven the car, it is difficult to be at the maximum pace right away, but I think the team get a good comparison and I get a good feeling for the car as well."

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Alonso angered by rumours

An angry and frustrated Fernando Alonso has questioned the motivation of reports in Italy claiming that he is considering a blockbuster switch to Red Bull.

Sergio Perez: Very close to new Force India deal

Perez 'very close' to new deal

Sergio Perez says he is “very close to committing” to Force India for 2015, but admits anything could happen.

Wehrlein named Merc reserve

Mercedes have named 19-year-old DTM race winner Pascal Wehrlein as their reserve driver from this week's Singapore GP.

Related Profiles

Most Popular

Features

Lotterer ousts Kamui

Lotterer ousts Kamui

Three-time Le Mans winner Andre Lotterer replaces Kamui Kobayashi at Caterham at Spa.

Market trading

Market trading

Which teams already have drivers under lock and key - and which ones could have vacancies - for 2015?

The best pics of 2014

The best pics of 2014

A selection of the best images from the year so far as Formula 1 appears in its full pictorial glory.