MW Arden's Daniil Kvyat dominated GP3 qualifying at Monza to take his maiden pole
Russian takes top spot by over half a second
By William Esler. Last Updated: 17/09/13 1:37pm
Daniil Kvyat: On pole at Monza (GP3 Series Media)
MW Arden's Daniil Kvyat dominated GP3 qualifying at Monza to take his maiden pole position in the series.
The Russian was in a league of his own at the Italian venue as his time of 1:36.933s gave him top spot by over half a second from team-mate Robert Visoiu.
Kvyat led the way at the mid-point of the session with a 1:37.368 - which as it turned out would have been good enough for pole had he opted to sit out the rest of qualifying. The Red Bull junior driver, though, managed to shave another four tenths off that time such was his dominance.
Behind them, former Drivers' Championship leader Tio Ellinas lines up third as he looks to get his season back on track, whilst Facu Regalia and Conor Daly, who both usurped him at Spa, line-up eighth and seventh respectively.
Alexander Sims continued to impress on his second weekend with Carlin and lines-up fourth, just ahead of team-mate Nick Yelloly. Another British driver to put in a strong showing was Dino Zamparelli who broke his run of qualifying the number 16 car 16th four weekends in succession to take 11th spot.
However, despite some thrilling action in the open 28 minutes of the session, its conclusion was something of a farce.
First Yelloly spun on the exit of the second chicane to bring out the yellow flags, before David Fumanelli suffered engine problems at the first chicane and was forced to abandon his Trident car in the middle of the circuit - effectively nullifying the end of the session. A spin from Sims at Parabolica in the closing seconds just compounded the issue.
GP3 Qualifying - Italy
1) Daniil Kvyat (RUS) - MW Arden - 1:36.933
2) Robert Visoiu (ROU) - MW Arden - +0.511
3) Tio Ellinas (CYP) - Marussia Manor Racing - +0.593
4) Alexander Sims (GBR) - Carlin - +0.647
5) Nick Yelloly (GBR) - Carlin - +0.669
6) Carlos Sainz (ESP) - MW Arden - +0.686
7) Conor Daly (USA) - ART Grand Prix - +0.775
8) Facu Regalia (ARG) - ART Grand Prix - +0.782
9) Kevin Korjus (EST) - Koiranen GP - +0.790
10) Lewis Williamson (GBR) - Bamboo Engineering - +1.009
11) Dino Zamparelli (GBR) - Marussia Manor Racing - +1.058
12) Jack Harvey (GBR) - ART Grand Prix - +1.178
17) Melville McKee (GBR) - Bamboo Engineering - +1.517
23) Josh Webster (GBR) - Status Grand Prix - +1.727
25) Ryan Cullen (GBR) - Marussia Manor Racing - +2.379