Record-breaking Jenson Button vows he can still drive McLaren-Honda forward in 2015

Exclusive interview with 2009 World Champ to be shown in Sunday's race show on Sky F1 as Jenson becomes most experienced Brit in F1

By Sky Sports Online.   Last Updated: 22/11/13 3:51pm

  • Share:
Sky F1's exclusive interview with Jenson Button will be broadcast in full during Sunday's race show from 3pm.

Sky F1's exclusive interview with Jenson Button will be broadcast in full during Sunday's race show from 3pm.

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

On the eve of becoming the most experienced British driver in F1 history, Jenson Button has vowed he'll still be the driver to make Honda's return to the sport a success in 2015 - and that he has plenty to learn from new rookie team-mate Kevin Magnussen next year.

Despite being poised to break David Coulthard's record of most grands prix starts by a British driver this weekend at Interlagos, Button still has his eyes firmly set on the future as he prepares for his 247th start in F1.

Button drove for Honda's eponymous team for three seasons before winning the Drivers' World Championship in 2009 with the rebranded Brawn outfit and is determined to still be a driving force in the sport when Honda renew their vows with McLaren for the 2015 campaign.

"I'm enjoying racing at the moment, there's no stress on my shoulders. I've definitely got a lot to give for when Honda come back, a lot of experience and I think it would be a great partnership and we can do a lot together," the 33-year-old told Sky Sports F1 in an exclusive interview which will be broadcast as part of the channel's race-day coverage of the Brazilian GP on Sunday.

Sky F1's exclusive interview with Jenson Button will be broadcast in full during Sunday's race show from 3pm.

With McLaren making little secret of their desire to reunite with Fernando Alonso for 2015, Button's hopes of extending his F1 career into a fifteenth year may be determined by the result of his looming intra-team battle with Dane Magnussen.

Yet such is the complicated dynamics and relationships of a team sport driven by competing individuals, Button knows that he could face a repeat of McLaren's 2013 annus horribilis unless he offers the 21-year-old rookie a helping hand as he settles into the seat being vacated by Sergio Perez.

"I have to be prepared to help him because that will help me," explained Button to Sky F1's Martin Brundle. "If he gets out of the car in the winter and says 'it's alright', that doesn't help me in the slightest.

"He will drive as many days over the winter as I will so he has to have an understanding of what to do with an F1 car. There's much more you can do with a car in F1 than in the series he has just raced in so he needs to be able to get up to speed as quickly as possible. He seems very fast and quick at learning which is great because I need to have someone who has great feedback and someone who I can trust."

Sky F1's exclusive interview with Jenson Button will be broadcast in full during Sunday's race show from 3pm.

McLaren last threw a rookie into the deep end of F1 in 2007 when a debutant by the name of Lewis Hamilton was selected to partner Fernando Alonso - then the reigning World Champion - but Button, who has previously described the appointment of the 21-year-old as "a massive risk", says there is no guarantee Magnussen will prevail.

"I know how excited he's going to be. Your first grand prix is going to be in a McLaren - not many people get that opportunity. Lewis obviously did, and he made good use of that. It could easily go the other way but hopefully Kevin is headstrong enough that it will work out well for him.

"It will be interesting to see how he fares and I will definitely learn something from the new kid again."

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Neil England has held Silverstone role for past six years

England quits Silverstone role

Neil England has quit his high-profile role at Silverstone after recent changes by the British Racing Drivers' Club.

Romain Grosjean: Difficult times at Lotus

Grosjean admits future 'open'

Lotus driver Romain Grosjean has admitted his future beyond the end of the season could lie away from Enstone.

Cyril Abiteboul: Switches Caterham for Renault

Management shake-up at Renault

Ex-Caterham team boss Cyril Abiteboul has returned to struggling engine makers Renault as new president also appointed.

Related Profiles

Most Popular

Features

JB responds to Ron

JB responds to Ron

Jenson says everyone at McLaren must work harder after Dennis called for more from his lead driver.

Boullier backs Button

Boullier backs Button

McLaren boss expects Jenson to stay for 2015 but admits team's struggles may continue next year.

'No contract progress'

'No contract progress'

Jenson confirms no talks yet, but reckons McLaren want to retain him for the 2015 campaign.