Monisha Kaltenborn has ruled out Rubens Barrichello driving for Sauber next season

Brazilian tweets "if there is an opportunity, I'm in."

By William Esler.   Last Updated: 05/10/13 11:44am

  • Share:
Rubens Barrichello: Won't be joining Sauber

Rubens Barrichello: Won't be joining Sauber

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Sauber Team Principal Monisha Kaltenborn has emphatically ruled out the prospect of Rubens Barrichello driving for the Swiss team next season.

Earlier this week Kaltenborn had refused to rule out the Brazilian and stating "We know that he'd like to come back. So let's see."

The rumours gathered pace on Saturday morning when Barrichello tweeted: "Lot's of things have being said this week about a possible F1 return. The truth is: "if there is an opportunity, I 'm in."

However, the Sauber Team Principal says the only reason she didn't officially rule the 41-year-old out earlier was to be nice.

"I am ruling out he will drive for us. Maybe it is better one is that clear about it," she said. "I just felt it would be a bit rude to do that. I was trying to be nice on it.

"I have a lot of respect for Rubens, and I don't think it is right I abruptly say 'no, we are not going to talk'. I have to be respectful to such a driver.

"I fully understand he wants to drive and he is trying his best. I talk a lot with him when he is here, we discuss young drivers and so on, but we have never discussed a seat. That's reality.

"It's a bit unfair towards him because it doesn't look good for him. So, just to be very clear on it, we have not discussed a seat for next year and also no drive for Brazil."

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Force India confirm Perez

Force India have officially confirmed Sergio Perez will remain at the team for 2015 and beyond after signing a new multi-year deal.

Exclusive Ron Dennis Q&A

Martin Brundle presses his former boss Ron Dennis for information on McLaren’s 2015 line-up.

Alex Lynn: New GP3 Champion (GP3 Series Media)

'Like lions fighting over prey'

Alex Lynn has likened the battle for the vacant Toro Rosso seat to lions fighting over their prey in the wild.

Most Popular

Features

'Civil war declared'

'Civil war declared'

Fleet Street say F1 is preparing to field three-car teams in 2015 before running customer cars.

Ericsson joins Sauber

Ericsson joins Sauber

Swede secures 2015 seat a week after Caterham withdrew from grid - but it's unclear who he will replace.

Three-car teams in '15?

Three-car teams in '15?

Bernie Ecclestone confirms three-car teams proposal would be adopted if only eight outfits on the grid.