Force India

Sahara Force India F1 Team

  • Standing 6th
  • Points 155

Force India Links

Force India skip P2

Team missed second practice to return to hotel early

Last Updated: 20/04/12 1:41pm

  • Share:

Force India have missed Practice Two for the Bahrain GP in order to return to their team hotel during daylight hours on Friday.

The move came after four team personnel were witnesses to a petrol-bomb attack on Wednesday night as they returned to their hotel from the circuit. One team member has since departed the troubled kingdom state.

THE ONLY PLACE TO BE

Sky Sports F1 HD is THE only place to watch the 2012 Formula One season in full. We will have live and exclusive coverage of the Bahrain Grand Prix starting with P1 on Friday.
FRIDAY - P1 from 7.45am. P2 from 11.45am
SATURDAY - P3 from 8.45am. Q from 11am
SUNDAY - Race from 11.30am
To find out all the different ways to watch the action, click here

A statement from the team read: "For logistical reasons the team will run a rescheduled programme for the rest of the weekend, which will result in the team missing second practice to ensure the most competitive performance in FP3, qualifying and the race."

Earlier, Deputy Team Principal Bob Fernley told Sky Sports News: "We want to make sure the crew are comfortable and if that means leaving during daylight hours then that will be the case."

Protesters against the Bahraini ruling regime have said they will ramp up their campaign - known as 'Three Days of Rage' - ahead of Sunday's race.

Fernley, however, denied that a desire to return to their base during the cover of daylight hours was a factor in the decision.

"I personally don't think the daylight has anything to do with it. What we're looking at is making sure that our own arrangements meet the needs of everybody that we have," he said.

Fernley also denied the matter had been discussed with Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone, who was spotted in the Force India pit during the morning session.

SKY NEWS IN BAHRAIN

Sky News is providing full coverage of the political situation in Bahrain as it plays host to the grand prix. Click here for more from the Sky News team.

"We've not stated concerns. We have no concerns. It's just a pragmatic approach to our situation. Our situation is different with all due respect to all other teams," he said. "We are here to race, we are totally committed to the Bahrain GP and there will be no backing off."

The team boss added that drivers Paul di Resta and Nico Hulkenberg supported the move.

"We're a team. We work as a team, the drivers are part of that team. You know, there are times we have to deliver because a driving mistakes or errors and they fully support the crew as well," Fernley said.

  • Share:

Related

Bahrain Grand Prix 2012

Martin at work in Bahrain

Reflections on Bahrain

Sky Sports Martin Brundle tries to make sense of a bewildering weekend in Bahrain, ponders the Pirelli dilemma, and explains why Kimi Raikkonen was right not to be satisfied with second place...

Alonso and Rosberg do battle

Rosberg: Stewards were right

Nico Rosberg says he was pleased to see that Bahrain GP stewards agreed with his view that his battles with Hamilton and Alonso were 'hard but fair'.

Paul Di Resta: Delighted with team effort after finishing sixth in Bahrain

Di Resta hails team effort

Paul di Resta paid tribute to Force India after ending a difficult Bahrain Grand Prix weekend by finishing sixth in the race.

Most Popular

Features

'Civil war declared'

'Civil war declared'

Fleet Street say F1 is preparing to field three-car teams in 2015 before running customer cars.

Team-mate battles

Team-mate battles

Jenson v Kevin? Fernando v Kimi? Which drivers seized the initiative during the opening 14 races.