'Haas committed to basing his F1 team in U.S.'

Sky Sports F1 breaks news of American's planned visit to team's base

By Pete Gill.   Last Updated: 11/05/14 11:24am

  • Share:

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

A spokesman has denied that Gene Haas is to visit Lotus' Enstone base next week.

Reports of Haas' purported visit surfaced during Sky Sports F1's coverage of the Spanish GP and immediately prompted speculation that the American tycoon is contemplating purchasing the cash-strapped outfit.

Asked about the reports, a Lotus spokesman, with tongue firmly in cheek, replied: "We don't know about a visit. We'll check the visitor book on Monday."

Haas' proposed American Formula 1 team has been granted licence onto the F1 grid for 2015 by the FIA but, having admitted last month that their entry may have to be delayed until 2016, considerable doubt has been cast on his plan to base the team in America - a distant outpost in the Eurocentric world of F1.

However, a spokesman has insisted that Haas still intends to base his team in the States.

'Gene Haas has no plans to visit the Lotus factory. Gene remains committed to building an American-based Formula One team and his plans have not changed,' the spokesman told Sky Sports.

Despite finishing fourth in the Constructors' Championship last year, Lotus' financial woes have proved crippling over the last 12 months. Star driver Kimi Raikkonen departed to Ferrari after revealing he hadn't been paid by the team while rumours have been rife in the Barcelona paddock this weekend that the team owe Renault for use of their engines this season - although Lotus have subsequently insisted they are up to date on payments.

Haas are understood to have opened talks with Dallara about becoming his nascent team's chassis supplier and Lotus may fit the bill as a partner to join forces with Haas' American core - a partnership that would have an obvious appeal for both parties.

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Alonso angered by rumours

An angry and frustrated Fernando Alonso has questioned the motivation of reports in Italy claiming that he is considering a blockbuster switch to Red Bull.

Sergio Perez: Very close to new Force India deal

Perez 'very close' to new deal

Sergio Perez says he is “very close to committing” to Force India for 2015, but admits anything could happen.

Wehrlein named Merc reserve

Mercedes have named 19-year-old DTM race winner Pascal Wehrlein as their reserve driver from this week's Singapore GP.

Most Popular

Features

Maldonado exclusive

Maldonado exclusive

One of F1's most controversial drivers talks to Sky F1 about his move to Lotus and his reputation.

Maldonado retained

Maldonado retained

Lotus confirm that Pastor will stay on for 2015 despite wretched first season with the Enstone outfit.

The best pics of 2014

The best pics of 2014

A selection of the best images from the year so far as Formula 1 appears in its full pictorial glory.