Mercedes

Mercedes AMG Petronas F1

  • Standing 1st
  • Points 393

Mercedes Links

Niki Lauda says Ross Brawn is only '50-50' to remain with Mercedes in 2014

Englishman issued 'back me or sack me' statement on Sky F1 in Japan

By William Esler.   Last Updated: 15/10/13 12:23pm

  • Share:
Niki Lauda says Ross Brawn is only "50-50" to stay with Mercedes

Niki Lauda says Ross Brawn is only "50-50" to stay with Mercedes

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Niki Lauda says Ross Brawn is only "50-50" to remain with Mercedes in 2014, despite being offered undisputed number one status at the head of the team.

Underlying tensions at Mercedes seemed to reach a head at the Japanese GP when Brawn broke his counsel with an effective 'back me or sack me' statement on Sky Sports F1. "I think we need a very clear definition of who is in charge and obviously I need the motivation to carry on," he told Simon Lazenby.

"I think the situation we have now is very different is probably a bit different to 12 months ago when some of these decisions were made so to some degree it is just unravelling what's gone on and finding a satisfactory solution."

Although Brawn denied at the Japanese GP that he was in talks with either former employers Honda or McLaren over a potential switch to oversee the former's return to F1 from 2015, speculation over the 58-year-old's future has been a running theme all season once Mercedes' move for Lowe was revealed in pre-season.

However, Mercedes non-executive Chairman Lauda says the team have resolved any issues they had earlier in the season and that it is now down to Brawn to decide if he want to stay or not.

"It's down to him now, I'd say it's 50-50," Lauda told the Daily Mirror.

"We have had some small problems in the team in the past but everything is sorted now.

"It's all agreed between him and Paddy and everyone else. He's No.1. I have tried to persuade him to stay. I want him to stay. We will talk again at the end of the season."

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Alonso: 'Judge Max on pace'

Fernando Alonso says Max Verstappen's readiness for F1 should be judged on his performances in 2015 rather than his age.

Max Verstappen will replace Jean-Eric Vergne

Verstappen makes F1 history

Toro Rosso have announced Max Verstappen for the 2015 season making him, at just 17, the youngest driver in F1 history.

Settlement ends Bernie trial

Formula 1 ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone has agreed an £60m settlement to end his bribery case in Germany.

Most Popular

Features

Lewis' ice-bucket

Lewis' ice-bucket

Lewis Hamilton takes on the ice-bucket challenge after Daniel Ricciardo's nomination on Thursday.

Lewis eyes Merc stay

Lewis eyes Merc stay

Lewis Hamilton has revealed he and Mercedes are keen to extend his contract beyond 2015.

Hamilton crashes out

Hamilton crashes out

Watch the moment when brake failure fired Lewis Hamilton into the barriers during qualifying.