Toro Rosso

Scuderia Toro Rosso

  • Standing 7th
  • Points 17

Toro Rosso Links

Toro Rosso's Franz Tost would prefer mores races than re-expansion of testing schedule

Austrian suggests more tests "spending money for nothing"

By Pete Gill.   Last Updated: 20/09/13 6:26pm

  • Share:
Franz Tost: Happy for the calendar to go beyond 20 races

Franz Tost: Happy for the calendar to go beyond 20 races

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Toro Rosso boss Franz Tost has called for more races and less testing in F1.

Although the current F1 calendar is widely regarded to have reached saturation point for the teams, with last year's 20-race schedule the longest in the sport's history, Tost believes that fresh additions could still be made - so long as testing is completely outlawed.

"I request this always," the plain-spoken Austrian said during Friday's press conference at Singapore.

"I prefer to have more races, where we gain money, instead of spending money for nothing. Therefore, I would prefer to have two more races more - or maybe three or four - instead of eight days testing where we go out and do laps for nothing because reliability is no longer an issue.

"Ten, fifteen years ago we could have said that we needed to test to make the cars more reliable, but that is no longer the case."

In 2014, when winter testing is expected to be particularly important due to the commencement of a 'rules revolution' in the sport, three tests are expected to be staged, with the first possibly as early as January.

The in-season testing ban will also be lifted with sessions to take place after four of the season's grands prix.

  • Share:

Related

F1 in 2014

Daniel Ricciardo celebrates with Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton on the Hungarian GP podium

Rivals: Ricciardo here to stay

Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton have heaped praise on Daniel Ricciardo and tipped him to stay at the front of the F1.

Sauber: Only above Caterham in the Constructors' Championship on results countback

Sauber confident of recovery

Sauber boss Monisha Kaltenborn is “absolutely confident” the ailing team will work their way out of their 2014 slump.

Raikkonen 'hasn't lost speed'

Kimi Raikkonen insists he's lost none of his speed since rejoining Ferrari from Lotus despite his disappointing form.

Most Popular

Features

The age debate

The age debate

Is 17 too young for F1? Ted Kravitz and David Croft debate after Max Verstappen's appointment.

Max in for 2015

Max in for 2015

Toro Rosso recruit will - aged just 17 - become F1's youngest driver next season when he replaces Vergne.

Verstappen Q&A

Verstappen Q&A

Dutch teenager reflects on his goals for 2015 when he will become the youngest driver in F1 history.