Niki Lauda gives short shrift to speculation Mercedes eyeing Sebastian Vettel

Austrian also not expecting any long-term fallout from Hungarian GP

By James Galloway.   Last Updated: 08/08/14 10:20am

  • Share:
Niki Lauda and Lewis Hamilton

Niki Lauda and Lewis Hamilton

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Niki Lauda has described as “absolute rubbish” reports that Mercedes are considering a move for Sebastian Vettel at Lewis Hamilton’s expense for the 2016 season.

Both Hamilton and Red Bull’s Vettel, whose contracts with their respective teams are currently both due to expire at the end of 2015, were put on the spot at last weekend’s Hungarian GP about speculative reports in the German press which suggested that Mercedes were looking to prise the World Champion from their rivals to form an all-German line-up alongside Nico Rosberg, who recently agreed a new multi-year deal.

Red Bull’s motorsport advisor Helmut Marko was quoted as saying that Mercedes, along with McLaren, had made an offer to his driver, although Vettel himself played down such claims.  

Hamilton, meanwhile, said that both he and Mercedes’ management had already indicated to each other that they wanted to extend their relationship – a position Lauda, the team’s non-executive chairman, has since confirmed.

“We are already in touch with him to renew his contract,” the Austrian said.

“All the speculation of bull**** Marko is absolute rubbish.”

In addition to wild speculation about their future driver line-up, Mercedes have also had to contend with conspiracy theories from some fans that they are favouring Rosberg’s title challenge with Hamilton having experienced more unreliability from the all-conquering W05 so far this year.

“I hate this discussion because both guys from day one have the same cars, everything is equal,” Lauda insisted.

“There have been eight Mercedes engines here [on the grid in Hungary] and Lewis’s failed. So it’s not a question between Nico and Lewis – eight engines and one failed and unfortunately it was Lewis’s.

Coming soon to the UK

“These things should not fail, we’re going to fix them, but there’s nothing here [untoward]. We want both to have the same material and they can race each other the way they want.”

Lauda, a three-times World Champion, also predicted that there would be no lingering fallout from race day at the Hungaroring when Hamilton decided not to heed a team instruction to let Rosberg past him as their divergent tyre strategies crossed paths.

“I’ve been very happy, nobody had any problems,” the Austrian added. “I have to see if there are some but I doubt it because everyone goes on holiday anyway and drivers forget quickly. After holiday they start completely normal again.”

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Honda: No driver decision made

Honda’s Head of Motorsport tells Sky Sports News HQ that no decision has been made on McLaren's 2015 driver line-up.

Jenson Button talks with Craig Slater of Sky Sports News

'Happy' Button expects to stay

Jenson Button says he's happy that he'll be at McLaren in 2015 with the Englishman expected to sign a one-year extension

Nelson Piquet driving for Brabham at the 1981 Spanish GP

Brabham team is revived

The Brabham team has been re-launched with the goal of returning to the Formula 1 grid.

Most Popular

Features

Ask Jenson Button!

Ask Jenson Button!

Got a question you want to ask the 2009 champion? Send them to us and we'll ask the McLaren man.

Quiz an F1 boss!

Quiz an F1 boss!

It's an F1 Show Team Principal Special on Friday and we want your questions for the chiefs.

Decisions, decisions

Decisions, decisions

Mark Hughes explains why Fernando Alonso may have to make a decision on his Ferrari future imminently.