Mercedes have confirmed that Technical Director Bob Bell is to leave the team

Joint team boss Paddy Lowe will take on Ulsterman's responsibilities

By Mike Wise.   Last Updated: 14/04/14 5:33pm

  • Share:
Bob Bell: Will depart Mercedes in November

Bob Bell: Will depart Mercedes in November

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Mercedes confirmed on Monday that Technical Director Bob Bell is to leave the team with joint boss Paddy Lowe taking over his role.

In a statement, Mercedes said that the 56-year-old Ulsterman resigned his position last December but will depart at end of the current season, 'with the intention of pursuing new challenges outside the company'.

The statement added that Bell's responsibilities will be picked up by Lowe as Mercedes 'streamline its technical organisation'.

Although Lowe's arrival at Brackley last year as Executive Director (Technical) alongside commercial boss Toto Wolff further strengthened the team's engineering strength, there had been suggestions that a roster of know-how already featuring Bell, Aldo Costa (Engineering Director), Geoff Willis (Technology Director) as well as Team Principal Ross Brawn was too top-heavy.

However, the team's current dominance of F1's new hybrid era offers a vindication of their approach, with Bell now joining Brawn - who departed at the end of last season - in stepping down.

He joined Mercedes in 2011 having previously worked for McLaren, Benetton, Jordan and Renault.

Bell served as Technical Director at the latter outfit and even had a brief stint as Team Principal in 2009, when the previous year's Singapore GP deliberate crash controversy forced Flavio Briatore's resignation.

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Jenson Button talks with Craig Slater of Sky Sports News

'Happy' Button expects to stay

Jenson Button says he's happy that he'll be at McLaren in 2015 with the Englishman expected to sign a one-year extension

Nelson Piquet driving for Brabham at the 1981 Spanish GP

Brabham team is revived

The Brabham team has been re-launched with the goal of returning to the Formula 1 grid.

McLaren 'more or less' decided

Eric Boullier says McLaren won't be revealing their 2015 driver line-up in Japan, but that it is “more or less” decided.

Most Popular

Features

Quiz an F1 boss!

Quiz an F1 boss!

It's an F1 Show Team Principal Special on Friday and we want your questions for the chiefs.

Decisions, decisions

Decisions, decisions

Mark Hughes explains why Fernando Alonso may have to make a decision on his Ferrari future imminently.

Japanese GP preview

Japanese GP preview

Everything you could possibly need to know about the race weekend on F1's only figure-of-eight circuit.