Ross Brawn says he has no intention of returning to F1 and considers himself retired

"I'm retiring - it's not tongue in cheek," 59-year-old is quoted as saying

By Mike Wise.   Last Updated: 02/02/14 12:28pm

  • Share:
Ross Brawn: Quoted as saying he is "retiring" from Formula 1

Ross Brawn: Quoted as saying he is "retiring" from Formula 1

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Ross Brawn has insisted that he will not return to Formula 1, saying instead that he considers himself retired from the sport.

The 59-year-old, who had a hand in no fewer than 16 world title successes with Benetton, Ferrari and then his own Brawn team, stepped down as Mercedes Team Principal at the end of last year and subsequently said that he would decide his future in the summer.

But it now seems as though his latest sabbatical will last longer. Speaking at a fishing event he opened in Scotland, Brawn said: "I'm retiring - it's not tongue in cheek."

Quoted in the Daily Telegraph, Brawn, who also took time off from the sport in 2007, added: "I'm going to take a year to enjoy the fishing and then see what life brings. I'm looking forward to it but I've got no other plans.

"It's a fantastic honour to do the ceremonial opening of the River Dee. It's a river I've never had a chance to fish before because it is predominantly known as a spring river and in the spring I'm normally trying to sort out a Formula One car in Spain.

"So February, March and April are never good months for me to go fishing - but this year is different having stopped."

With Brawn in Aberdeenshire, F1 was to be found at pre-season testing in Jerez this week. Speaking on Wednesday at the Motor Sport magazine 'Hall Of Fame' awards in London, he denied he would take up a new role at McLaren, yet also admitted he could be persuaded back to the sport.

"Come the summer I may take stock and things may change - never say never - but it's not my plan," Brawn said at the time.

However, now it sounds as though F1 will play no part whatsoever in his future plans.

"What they didn't realise when I was invited here was they had a scoop because the world's press was trying to find out if I was retiring or not," Brawn added.

"This is the busiest time of the year for Formula One and I said I would come along and open the River Dee.

"If they had put two and two together they would have realised I was definitely retiring."

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Palmer lands Lotus role

Lotus have unveiled Britain's GP2 Series champion Jolyon Palmer as their third driver for the 2015 season.

Robson joins Williams

Dave Robson, Jenson Button’s former race engineer at McLaren, has joined Williams as part of an engineering shake-up.

Wolff: Alonso would top shortlist

McLaren's Fernando Alonso would top Mercedes’ shortlist were the team not able to agree a new deal with Lewis Hamilton, Toto Wolff has said.

Most Popular

Features

Ted on tour

Ted on tour

Ted takes his notebook on tour and visits the home of the Mexican GP to see how work is progressing.

Sky F1's Jerez plans

Sky F1's Jerez plans

Live updates on SSNHQ, running commentary on Sky Sports Online, and two nightly shows on Sky F1!

Mexico construction

Mexico construction

Check out pictures of how the construction work at the Circuit Hermanos Rodriguez is progressing.