A track worker has died after falling under a recovery vehicle at the Canadian GP

Unnamed man is the first Grand Prix fatality since 2001

By Mike Wise in Montreal.   Last Updated: 10/06/13 10:51am

  • Share:

Tragedy in Montreal

The FIA confirmed on Sunday evening that a track worker has died after falling under a recovery vehicle at the Canadian Grand Prix.

The unnamed man, a member of the Automobile Club de I'lle Notre-Dame, was helping to recover the Sauber of Esteban Gutierrez which crashed at Turn 2 of Circuit Gilles Villeneuve on lap 64 of the 70-lap race.

The recovery vehicle had hoisted the car and was returning it to the pits after the race when the man dropped his radio. Attempting to pick it up, he stumbled and was hit and run over.

He was transported via helicopter to Montreal's Sacre-Coeur Hospital where, despite treatment in its traumatology department, he later succumbed to his injuries.

"It's deplorable; it's a tragic end to what was a great weekend," Fran├žois Dumontier, President and CEO of Octane Management and President of the Canadian Grand Prix was quoted as saying in the Montreal Gazette.

In a statement released by the FIA, the governing body, together with the Automobile Club de I'lle Notre-Dame and the Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada, extended their "deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victim".

He is the first track worker to be killed at a race meeting since marshal Graham Beveridge died during the 2001 Australian GP. Another marshal, Paolo Ghislimberti, was killed at the previous year's Italian GP.

Tributes were quick to follow. "Shocked & saddened by the news that a marshal who is there to keep us safe has lost his life during our race today. Rest in peace my friend," Jenson Button wrote on Twitter.

McLaren team-mate Sergio Perez tweeted, "very sad news about the marshal that got kill during our race! Rip my thoughts with him and family".

  • Share:

Post Comment

*All fields required, your email address will be kept private