Name: Johnny Briggs
Date of birth: 03/10/1862
International Team: N/A
Domestic Team: N/A
Role: All Rounder
Bowling Style: Unknown
Batting Style: Right-hand
- Test Debut v Australia at Adelaide - December, 1884
- Tremendous slow left-arm bowler who was the first to take 100 wickets in test cricket.
- His reputation was forged after his dazzling performance against the Aussies at Lord's in 1886 when he took match figures of 11 for 74 as England won by an innings.
- He was more than just a bowler, Briggs scored a test ton added to the two half-centuries in his 33 tests.
- Wisden Cricketer of the year in 1889.
- His test career came to a sad and sudden end.
- Briggs was an Epileptic and he suffered a seizure during the 3rd test against Australia at Headingly in 1899. Although he returned to the county ranks in 1900, his health deteriorated and he died in 1902 at the age of 39.
International Career Overview
|Career Span:||1884-1898||Innings Bowled:||49|
|Highest Score:||121||Best bowling in Innings:||8/11|