Name: Billy Bates
Date of birth: 19/11/1855
International Team: N/A
Domestic Team: N/A
Role: All Rounder
Bowling Style: Unknown
Batting Style: Right-hand
- Test Debut v Australia at Melbourne - December, 1881 - January, 1882
- A Fine off spinner, Bates was the first Englishman to take a test hat-trick in 1882 against the Aussies at Melbourne and finished with match figures of 14 for 102.
- He was a decent batsman and was considered good enough to open for England.
- His career was tragically cut short after a freak injury while touring Australia in 1887/88.
- He was bowling in the nets when a straight drive hit him in the face, damaging his eyesight so badly that he never played again.
International Career Overview
|Career Span:||1881-1887||Innings Bowled:||23|
|Highest Score:||64||Best bowling in Innings:||7/28|