Cricket South Africa have moved to reject claims by England and Wales Cricket Board chief executive David Collier that Kevin Pietersen was incited into sending "provocative" text messages by South African players.
Pietersen was dropped by England after evidence came to light that he had been exchanging inflammatory messages with the touring Proteas squad earlier this summer.
It was only last week that Pietersen and the ECB were finally able to resolve their differences and agree a process for his return to the England set-up.
On Sunday, Collier told the BBC that Pietersen's text messages were in response to communication from the opposition and went on to add that the South Africans had a "definite policy" to antagonise him.
"This is absolute rubbish," CSA acting chief executive Jacques Faul said.
"What is particularly disappointing is that I had a face-to-face meeting with Mr Collier when I was in London for the Lord's Test match.
"He did not raise this allegation with me then and I would have thought as a matter of courtesy and decency he would have spoken to me about it before going public in the media.
"It is not the way CSA goes about its business and it is not the way the ECB has done business with us in the past either. It is very disappointing because in the past our relationships with the ECB have always been cordial and constructive.
"This (the Pietersen affair) is an internal ECB matter in which we do not wish to be involved. It served as a distraction to our players that we did not need during the Test series."