Michael Carberry put down a marker with a fine 78 for England in their WACA warm-up match and says he is gunning for a place in the Test team.
The Hampshire opener outscored Joe Root (36), who is the only man to fail to pass 50 in the match so far bar the WA Chairman's XI's Tom Triffitt who finished on 18no.
England rattled up 270-2 on the second day of the match, still 181 behind the hosts' 451-5.
Carberry spent last winter working as an electrician, but he is determined to put pressure on Root - who starts the tour in pole position to partner Alastair Cook at the top of the order - and the other England batsmen in a bid to play in the Ashes series.
He said: "I think there's still a long way to go. I was pretty upset to get out at 78 but obviously I'll try and put that right in the next innings.
"All you can do really is take your chances when they come and hopefully you'll keep nudging the selectors a little bit.
I'll bat anywhere and I'd like to get the opportunity wherever it may be, whether it's at the top or at number six
"We'll see what happens when it comes to selecting the Test side. I'll bat anywhere and I'd like to get the opportunity wherever it may be, whether it's at the top or at number six.
"The important thing is I spent some good time in the middle, which I think most of the batters have managed to do leading into the next few games and the first Test.
Knock on the door
"I have come out with the mentality to play, all I can try and do is knock on the door. I have a lot of first-class experience and I can take that into games with me. I don't see myself as a reserve anything."
"At the start of any innings you're obviously a little bit nervous, looking for that first run to get off the mark.
"But after that I've figured 'Look, I'm here, I'm a good player - it's been recognised by the management; it's just down to me now to go out and show that'.
"I hope I showed a few glimpses of that today...and have done enough in this game to play (in the next fixture against Australia A) in Hobart."
Fears over Cook's stiff back - which forced him to miss the first match of the tour - eased with the captain taking part in a nets session on Friday.
Carberry though believes that even if Root and Cook play, he can challenge for a place in the middle order.
He said: "I'd like to think so. Across my career, I've played in quite a few strong batting line-ups and, as a young pro making my way in, I've had to slot in where there has been a space.
"I've made first-class hundreds batting at five and six earlier in my career, so I don't see that being a hindrance."
Chris Tremlett was the only England bowler of a six-man attack who failed to take a wicket at the WACA, but Boyd Rankin and Steve Finn - the Surrey giant's competitors for the last fast bowling berth for the Test team - have also failed to impress.
"You have to bear in mind that it's the guys' first competitive bowl out in the middle so it will take some time for them to hit their straps," Carberry said.
"There's obviously things to work on and we can put that right in the next game, but I'm mainly just looking forward to the batting and putting in some graft to make sure we're in good shape."
Watch the Ashes live on Sky Sports this winter, beginning with the opening Test at the Gabba. Coverage begins at 11pm on Sky Sports 2 HD on 20 November.
Who should open the batting with Chris Rogers for Australia in the Ashes opener in Brisbane?