David Hussey has been cleared by Nottinghamshire to play in the Indian Premier League after the two parties agreed a compensation payment.
The 30-year-old had agreed to extend his stay with county at the end of last season when he signed a new two-year deal.
However, the Australian - who made his Twenty20 International debut in the winter - was then drafted by IPL outfit Kolkata Knight Riders.
With the new Twenty20 competition getting underway on Friday, Notts were left without their overseas signing for the start of the domestic campaign.
The situation was further complicated when Hussey was selected for Australia's one-day squad for the tour of West Indies.
Now it has been decided that the right-hander will turn out at Trent Bridge once he has completed his other commitments in July.
"There's no doubt that I love playing for Notts and I am again really looking forward to joining up with everyone in July," he said.
"The past few months have been amazing with so much going on and I'm really grateful to all at Notts for letting me play in the IPL.
"But rest assured come July I will be doing my best for everyone on and off the field at Trent Bridge. I hope the boys keep up the good start."
Notts director of cricket Mick Newell confirmed that batsman Adam Voges, who previously played county cricket for Hampshire, will cover for his compatriot.
"We're pleased we have reached an agreement over compensation with David and we are very pleased that he has got a central contract as he's been an extremely consistent performer for us," Newell said.
"He has made a valuable contribution to us over the last four years and I'm sure he will continue to do so.
"As soon as we learned of his link with the IPL we moved to find another overseas player and Adam Voges is an excellent replacement.
"We are looking forward to David returning to Nottingham in early July after Australia complete their tour of the Caribbean but I'm sure Voges will fill his shoes very capably in the meantime."