CSA deny Nel reports
South African officials deny Nel retirement reports.
Last Updated: March 12, 2008 7:20pm
Nel: Retirement report
South African cicket officials have denied reports that Andre Nel could retire from international cricket due to the country's quota system.
A row surfaced last month between national coach Mickey Arthur and Cricket South Africa (CSA) president Norman Arendse about the number of black players in the country's national squad.
Only four players of colour were selected for the Proteas' current tour to Bangladesh, while six were chosen to face India previously.
Nel, who took four wickets as South Africa won their one-day deries against Bangladesh, was one of the players to make way with Charl Langeveldt preferred instead.
Langeveldt has won six Test caps since making his debut against England in 2005, while also adding 59 ODI appearances to his international record.
According to a report in the Cape Argus, Nel initially wanted to pull out of the second ODI in Chittagong.
However, after what was described as a "long and emotional discussion" with coach Arthur, which the newspaper apparently witnessed in the foyer of the hotel, he decided to play.
"His axing from the squad was devastating for him," Arthur confirmed to the newspaper.
"I had to talk him through the process and told him how important it was for him to take the field (against Bangladesh). And though still very upset, he eventually agreed to play."
Nel was reported to be considering an offer to play Twenty20 cricket in India while an unnamed English county was also interested.
Worried about the reports, Cricket South Africa spokesman Michael Owen-Smith told www.news24.com that they were not true.
"As you can imagine, it has been a very emotional 24 hours for Andre," said Owen-Smith.
"The choice to play was his and at no time did he refuse to play. As you saw today, he wears his heart on his sleeve and we all saw what representing his country means to him."