Tell us what you think of the new cricket section at

Don't show again

Sri Lankans glad to be home

Team arrives in Colombo following terrorist attack in Lahore

Back home: Mahela Jayawardene with his wife Christina Sirisena

Back home: Mahela Jayawardene with his wife Christina Sirisena

The Sri Lanka cricket team has arrived back home in Colombo following the terrorist attack in Lahore.

"I'm just very happy to be able to see my family again to come back to Sri Lanka in one piece."

Mahela Jayawardene

Quotes of the week

The team had been on their way to the Gaddafi Stadium for the third day of the second Test against Pakistan when their bus was attacked by gunman.

Several members of the squad were injured in the attack, while six policeman and two civilians died.

And skipper Mahela Jayawardene, who suffered a minor ankle injury, admitted the squad was just relieved to be home.

"I'm just very happy to be able to see my family again to come back to Sri Lanka in one piece," Jayawardene said.

"Every breath I take, I'm glad I can take it without a problem. When you experience an incident like this, your whole life flashes in front of you in a moment.

"I don't think any of us expected to get out of this alive. We were very lucky no one actually suffered any serious or life-threatening injuries.

"Everyone is in good shape. There are a few guys who need more time to recover. Hopefully we can put this behind us and move forward."


Batsman Thilan Samaraweera and opener Tharanga Paranavitana suffered the worst injuries among the squad in the attack - and were rushed straight to hospital.

And vice-captain Kumar Sangakkara, who suffered shrapnel injuries to his chest, admitted the squad were fortunate to get away alive.

"We were lucky to get away safe and sound from this terrible incident," said Sangakkara.

"We are very happy to be back home and I guess we will spend the next few weeks coming to terms with what has happened.

"I think the best thing is for us to go on playing cricket."

Tillakaratne Dilshan was one of the lucky ones to escape without injury, however he was left was shocked following the incident.

"It was a really bad experience and I wanted to get back to my family as soon as possible," said Dilshan.

"I'm a little better now, but I'm still shocked."

Muttiah Muralitharan was also unhurt and the world's leading wicket-taker praised driver Mehar Mohammad Kahlil for his quick thinking.

"The driver saved the entire team because he just kept going despite the heavy gunfire," said Murali.

"Had he stopped there, we would not come out of this alive.

"Once we reached the stadium we were only bothered about attending to the guys who were injured."