Tell us what you think of the new cricket section at whatdoyouthink@bskyb.com

Don't show again

Nick Compton claims England "haven't given me a fair crack of the whip"

Nick Compton: Not giving up hope of fulfilling Ashes dream

Loading Market ...

Cricket Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Nick Compton says he has been denied "a fair crack of the whip" by England and admits he was left reeling by the decision to drop him.

Compton was axed for England's pre-Test warm-up match against Essex this week, with Joe Root chosen as Alastair Cook's opening partner.

Instead, Compton made a guest appearance for Worcestershire against Australia and responded with a battling 79, which follows the 81 he made for regular county Somerset against the tourists last week.

It is unlikely to be enough to win a reprieve for the first Test on July 10 and Compton appeared resigned to that fate following his innings.

Fighter

"I don't feel that I had a fair crack of the whip," he said. "I don't really know where things stand to be honest. I got told I had been dropped. Your guess is as good as mine.

"Would you drop me for an Essex warm-up game and then pick me (for the Ashes)? Isn't that messing a few people around? I don't know.

"It's been disappointing of late but I'll keep fighting on because I regard myself as a fighter. I've had to do that time and time again.

"Andy Flower said go away and score runs. I have done that. How many runs is scoring runs?"

Nick Compton

"People doubted me when I got picked for England; people doubted me in India; they doubted me when I got nought in New Zealand and then I scored two hundreds but they even doubted me after that series.

"I feel like this was a very good response actually. Last week was a very good response too.

"Time and time again I get asked to make responses and I feel like I do that every single time.

"(England team director) Andy Flower said go away and score runs. I have done that. How many runs is scoring runs?"

Compton's fate was widely believed to be sealed in the Headingley Test against New Zealand in May.

After making one in the first innings he batted ponderously in the second, making just seven in 45 balls at a time when England were in a position to force the game.

He confesses he was out of sorts but feels his previous efforts - including successive centuries in New Zealand - had bought him some leeway.

Shock

"By my own admission I wasn't in a great place at Headingley. It was a poor test match, no doubt about it," he said.

"But one, or one-and-a-half Test matches doesn't really constitute a series or a career.

"There's a lot of players early in a season whose feet go missing. I didn't look too much into it.

"Headingley was a poor Test match and that was it. It was a bit of a shock to hear the news.

"Perhaps I should have had more of a crack and gone down fighting. In the context of the game did it matter?"

Despite his downbeat tone, the 30-year-old has not given up on playing a part in the Test series and is ready to go should be called.

"I'm certainly not going to lose hope of playing in an Ashes series. It's a dream of mine and something I've worked very hard to achieve," he said.

"I've had lots of team-mates saying they can't understand it. It's nice to hear but we all know that wallowing in that stuff isn't going to help you get off the couch and crack on.

"I feel ready but it is not my job to select. I feel like I've done enough."

Who should open the England batting in the Ashes alongside Alastair Cook?

  • Nick Compton
  • Joe Root
  • Ian Bell
  • Other

Related Profiles