Michael Yardy has been withdrawn from England's World Cup squad as he is suffering from depression.
The decision was taken that the Sussex all-rounder should return home early from the tournament after consultation with the squad's medical team.
Yardy himself admits that while it was tough to leave his team-mates ahead of the quarter-final against Sri Lanka on Saturday he has taken the "sensible option", having managed the illness for a prolonged period of time.
"Leaving at this stage of a World Cup campaign was a very difficult decision to make but I felt that it was the only sensible option for me and I wanted to be honest about the reason behind that decision," he said.
"I would like to wish the squad all the very best ahead of the game on Saturday.
"I would appreciate some privacy over the coming weeks while I spend time with family and close friends ahead of what I hope will be a successful season for Sussex."
The 30-year-old played three games during the tournament, the last of which came in the thrilling Group B win over South Africa in Chennai.
He made his ODI debut back in 2006 and was part of the England squad that won the ICC World Twenty20 in the Caribbean last year.
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) have applied to the International Cricket Council's technical committee to call up a replacement player in place of Yardy.
"I would like to offer my full support to Michael on behalf of everyone involved with the England team and the ECB," Hugh Morris, managing director of the ECB, said.
"Michael has been an integral part of the England set up in recent years and while he will be missed in the knock out stages of the World Cup, our priority now is to ensure that he returns home to his family and is able to spend time recovering with a strong support network around him."
Sussex's professional cricket manager Mark Robinson has pledged to do everything he can to help his player.
"Sussex are very proud of Michael Yardy and very supportive of his decision, not only to come home but also to be prepared to go public with the reasons," he said in a statement.
"He's always been a person admired for his utmost honesty and integrity, and his courage in dealing with this issue emphasises that. As captain and one of our leading players, we'll give him all the time and all the support necessary so that he can continue to lead this club forward.
"As a club we request that everybody, including both supporters and the media, respects his privacy as he looks to spend some time with his family, having been away for five months.
"In due course, Michael will make a statement and in the meantime the club, its members and supporters wish him a speedy recovery."